Welcome to the Workforce Roundup!
Below are workforce news, resources, and updates from the past month.
A few quick highlights from this month:
1) Our 2014 Gubernatorial Forum: Building Massachusetts’ Skills to Compete at Roxbury Community College took place on July 16, 2014 and was a huge success!
- Check out NECN’s coverage of the event here.
- Pictures and video of the event have been posted online!
- Search #MAJobsForum on Twitter to see live tweets from SkillWorks and others, including direct quotes from the candidates and our testimonial speakers!
2) The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) was signed into law on July 22, 2014. This law reauthorizes the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) which is 11 years overdue for reauthorization. This law maintains the existing basic structure of WIA, but adds modernizing elements that will ensure federal investment is directed toward producing a skilled workforce through strengthening and improving the national workforce development system.
3) Earlier this month, SkillWorks’ out-going executive director, Loh-Sze Leung wrote a fascinating Huffington Post Blog – Collaborating to Connect People to Work describing our work at SkillWorks over the years. Learn more about SkillWorks’ partnerships and how the role of workforce intermediaries can continue to evolve in ways that inform public and private investments and policy decisions that help workers find training opportunities and meaningful, quality employment, check out the new book Connecting People to Work: Workforce Intermediaries and Sector Strategies!
4) As many of your already know, after 9 wonderful years, our executive director, Loh-Sze Leung has stepped down from her position to move out of state with her family. She will be dearly missed, but we wish her all the best as she embarks on new adventures! To commemorate her and all of her inspiring work in the field of workforce development, we have created the Loh-Sze Leung Fund for SkillWorks Participants: Connecting Participants to Opportunity. This fund will be used for SkillWorks participants who need one time support with education supplies, tuition, child care or transportation expenses.
To contribute to the Loh-Sze Leung Fund:
- Make checks out to: The Boston Foundation
- In the memo line add: SkillWorks Participant Fund
- Mail to: Fund Administration The Boston Foundation 75 Arlington Street, 10th Floor Boston, MA 02116
There’s lots more below!
Please add anything we missed by submitting a comment.
Workforce in the News
- Economic development bill passes the legislature (Shira Shoenberg, August 1, 2014).
- Congratulations to Recipients of the Opportunity Youth Incentive Fund (Sarah Beaulieu, Opportunity Nation blog, July 29, 2014).
- Addressing Skills Gaps and Economic Mobility Through Middle-Skill Pathways (Joshua Wright, EMSI, July 28, 2014).
- Building a STEM-skilled workforce (Dr. Ellen Ferraro and Roger Herzog, the Milford Daily News, July 27, 2014).
- The New Workforce Bill, Adult Learners, and Pathways to Higher Education Got a Little Easier (Mary Alice McCarthy, EdCentral, July 27, 2014).
- New Job Law Misses the Mark (Editorial Board, The New York Times, July 25, 2014).
- Collaborating to Connect People to Work (Loh-Sze Leung, Executive Director, SkillWorks for the Huffington Post blog, July 24, 2014).
- Grant to boost green jobs training in Framingham (Daily News Staff, MetroWest Daily News, July 23, 2014).
- White House Promotes Workforce Data (Rachel Zinn, Workforce Data Quality Campaign, July 22, 2014).
- WIOA In Action: The Work Force Youth Program (Sabrina Y. Gonzalez, Opportunity Nation, July 22, 2014).
- Promoting Job-Drive Training and American Opportunity (US Department of Labor Secretary Tom Perez, Work in Progress blog, July 22, 2014).
- Obama signs bipartisan jobs bill: “Let’s do this more often” (Jane C. Timm, MSNBC, July 22, 2014).
- Journeys and Destinations: The National Fund for Workforce Solutions Evaluation (Mark Popovich, Vice President of Programs, The Hitachi Foundation, for the Huffington Post blog, July 18, 2014).
- Mass. Gov. Candidates Debate Workforce Development (Peter Howe, July 16, 2014).
- The First-Ever White House Summit on American Apprenticeship (US Department of Labor Secretary, Tom Perez, Work in Progress blog, July 14, 2014).
- The Bottom Line: Apprenticeships are Good for Business (Sarah Ayres and Ben Schwartz, Center for American Progress, July 14, 2014).
- Survey: AIM and the BBJ want to hear from you about how to improve the Bay State economy (Boston Business Journal, July 11, 2014).
- A Rare Bipartisan Bill Passes Congress (Mark Edwards, Executive Director, Opportunity Nation, for Huffington Post Politics, July 9, 2014).
- Employment After the Recession (Jake New, Inside Higher Ed, July 8, 2014).
- STEM is Jambalaya (Ainissa Ramirez, Edutopia, July 8, 2014).
- What’s wrong with Millennial employment, in 3 charts (Claire Zillman, Fortune Magazine, July 8, 2014).
- The Hardest Roles to Hire For (Walter Frick, Harvard Business Review, July 2, 2014).
Research and Reports
- Ready to Work: Job-Drive Training and American Opportunity (US Vice President Joseph Biden, July 2014).
- A Workforce that Works: County Innovations in Workforce Development (National Association of Counties, July 2014).
- Baccalaureate and Beyond: A First Look at the Employment Experiences and Lives of College Graduates, 4 Years On (Emily Forrest Cataldi, Peter Siegel, Bryan Shepherd, Jennifer Cooney (RTI International), National Center for Education Statistics, July 8, 2014).
- STEM 101: Intro to tomorrow’s jobs (Occupational Outlook Quarterly, BLS, Spring 2014).
- Immigrant Entrepreneurs Creating Jobs and Strengthening the US Economy in Growing Industries: Transportation, Food and Building Services (The Immigrant Learning Center).
Tools and Resources
- Shared Vision, Strong Systems: The Alliance for Quality Career Pathways Framework Version 1.0 – a framework to provide a clear set of criteria and indicators for what constitutes a quality state and local/regional career pathway system, as well as metrics to assess participant progress and success.
- Find Current Certificates by name, organization, and industry on CareerOneStop.com.
- Federal Office of Postsecondary Education invites Postsecondary Educational Institutions to Participate in New Experiments under the Experimental Sites Initiative.
- Learn more at EdCentral: What’s in the Department’s Competency-Based Experimental Site Notice?
- US Department of Labor – Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act Resource Page.
- An Economist Made This Extraordinary Presentation Explaining Where We Are and How We Got Here – Generations X and Y: Facing Economic and Financial Challenges in the Shadow of the Baby Boom.
- The Workforce Strategies Initiative’s Business Value Assessment Toolkit.
- Workforce Training Fund Program (WTFP) Grants. The Workforce Training Fund is a state fund enacted into law in July 1998 and financed entirely by Massachusetts employers. Its purpose is to provide resources to Massachusetts businesses and workers to train current and newly hired employees.
- Social Innovation Fund Pay for Success Grants will provide up to $11.2 million in grants to eligible nonprofit organizations and city and state governments seeking to advance and evaluate emerging models that align payment for social services with verified social outcomes.
- Notice of intent to apply due: July 15, 2014
- Application Deadline: July 31, 2014
- Workforce Training Fund to award money to employers to help them train employees, enhance skills, and learn new skills. Click here to learn more!
- Common Impact is now accepting applications for capacity building projects which will begin in early 2014. Common Impact hopes to make a decision within the next few weeks and applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
- Click here to learn more about how to apply, and to access the application.
- September 12, 2014, 2:00-3:00 pm: The Alliance for Quality Career Pathways webinar on their career pathways framework as described in CLASP: Policy Solutions That Work for Low-Income People Shared Vision, Strong Systems: The Alliance for Quality Career Pathways Framework Version 1.0.
Fall 2014-Feb 2014 Workforce Training Fund information sessions: These 2-hour information session will give an overview of all of the Workforce Training Fund Grant Programs:
- General Program Training Grants – including Consortium Grants
- Express Program Training Grants
- Hiring Incentive Training Grants (HITG)
- Technical Assistance Grants