Welcome to the Workforce Roundup! Below are workforce news, resources and updates from the last week.
A few quick highlights for this week:
1) Join SkillWorks, the Workforce Solutions Group, and our partners for our 2014 Gubernatorial Forum: Building Massachusetts’ Skills to Compete! RSVP today to join us at Roxbury Community College on July 16 to hear what the Massachusetts Gubernatorial candidates have to say about jobs and workforce development!
2) On April 23, 2014, the US departments of Education, Health and Human Services, and Labor released an Request for Information (RFI) on Adoption of Career Pathways Approaches for the Delivery of Education, Training, Employment, and Human Services. Respond by June 9, 2014 to help shape workforce policy!
3) ACTION ALERT: To ensure that job training partnerships are available for every sector in need of skilled workers, please ask your state Representatives to call Speaker DeLeo and Chairman Brian Dempsey of the Ways and Means Committee to include funds for the Workforce Competitiveness Trust Fund (WCTF) in the Economic Development Bill. Please be sure to also call the following advocates directly to ensure that the funds for the WCTF are included in this bill:
- Speaker Robert DeLeo 617-722-2500
- Chairman Brian Dempsey 617-722-2990
There’s lots more below! Please add anything we missed by submitting a comment.
Workforce in the News
- DeLeo: $80M economic development bill would fuel growth outside Interstate 495 bubble (Jim Kinney, MassLive, June 5, 2014).
- House Leaders Outline Bill Aimed at Boosting Jobs (Andy Metzger, WBUR, June 3, 2014).
- Employer Confidence hits 21-Month High (Andre Mayer, Associated Industries of Massachusetts Blog, June 3, 2014).
- Fewer jobs for high schoolers (Chris Bergeron, Wicked Local, June 2, 2014).
- Labor Secretary Rachel Kaprielian, Hampden Sheriff Michael Ashe laud employment program for released inmates (Jim Kinney, June 2, 2014).
- A startup helping students land jobs after college: LearnLaunchX grad uConnect (Kyle Alspach, BetaBoston, June 1, 2014).
- DeLeo praises voke ed, announces grants at Worcester summit (John J. Monahan, Worcester Telegram & Gazette, May 31, 2014).
Research and Reports
Tools and Resources
- Learn more about Jobs for the Future’s Back on Track Designs! JFF has developed a Back on Track Through Postsecondary model to develop and expand pathways for Opportunity Youth to high school and postsecondary credentials with value in the labor market, as well as drive growth and scale in this emerging field of practice.
- Find materials from the recent National Skills Coalition webinar: Unpacking WIOA and sign up for upcoming webinar briefings on state and federal policy led by NSC’s staff and allies.
- Massachusetts Growth Capital Corporation is now accepting grant proposals for their Small Business Assistance Grant Program.
- Common Impact is now accepting applications for capacity building projects which will begin in early 2014. Common Impact hopes to make a decision within the next few weeks and applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
- Click here to learn more about how to apply, and to access the application.
- Commonwealth Corporation has announced the Workforce Training Fund Program Regional Training Capacity Pilot RFP.
- Questions about the Request for Proposals will be accepted in writing from May 1, 2014 through June 9, 2014 via email to: Theresa Rowland, at email@example.com.
- Department of Labor (DOL) has announced $53 million in funding available through the Workforce Innovation Fund (WIF). Applications are due by June 18, 2014, and grants will be awarded in September 2014. More information can be found on the National Skills Coalition website.
- June 7, 2014: Robotics Competition and STEM Activities Fair (Boston, MA).
- June 9, 2014: Social Enterprise in Workforce Development: The Goodwill Experience – a webinar hosted by the Workforce Strategies Initiative at the Aspen Institute.
- June 12, 2014: launch of the new book Connecting People to Work: Workforce Intermediaries and Sector Strategies, which includes a chapter written by SkillWorks Executive Director, Loh-Sze Leung! (Washington, DC).
- June 12, 2014: Workforce Data Quality Campaign Webinar: Employing WRIS2 – a discussion about the Wage Record Interchange System (WRIS) 2, which allows states to exchange wage records for program reporting. Learn more about WRIS2 here.
- June 17: Successful ESL Strategies for Skilled Immigrant Students Webinar – Global Talent Bridge.
- June 17-19, 2014: Fourth Annual Meeting: Better Skills, Better Jobs – National Fund for Workforce Solutions (Chicago, IL).
- July 16, 2014, 6:00-7:30: Gubernatorial Candidates Forum on Jobs and Opportunity. RSVP Today!