Good news! On April 14, the House-Senate conference committee reported out the Transportation Bond Bill, including an amendment in support of pre-apprenticeship training! Specifically, the language says:
“…provided further, that the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, in executing these projects, shall train not less than 300 participants per year from low income, minority, youth or young adult populations in pre-apprenticeship programs registered with the division of apprentice training;”
Thank you to all who contacted their state representatives and senators in support of this language–your calls, visits and emails made a difference and got it done. And thanks to the Workforce Solutions Group and MCAN for helping to lead the way.
And a big thank you to Senator Ken Donnelly and Representative Sean Garballey for leading efforts to get the amendment into the final bill, as well as all of the cosigners and sponsors, listed below. If your representative or senator signed on, please do send a thank you note to let them know you appreciate their support.
We expect that the bill will be passed by the legislature tomorrow and will keep you updated.
Thanks again for your support. We could not be more excited to be creating opportunities for Massachusetts residents to access jobs being created by investments in our transportation infrastructure.
Amendment Supporters/Letter co-signers:
- Senator Gale Candaras
- Senator Sonia Chang-Diaz
- Senator Cynthia Creem
- Senator Sal DiDomenico
- Senator Ken Donnelly
- Senator Jamie Eldridge
- Senator Linda Dorcena-Forry
- Senator Pat Jehlen
- Senator John Keenan
- Senator Stan Rosenberg
- Senator Karen Spilka
- Senator Dan Wolf
- Representative Sean Garballey
- Representative Denise Andrews
- Representative Antonio Cabral
- Representative Thomas Conroy
- Representative Claire Cronin
- Representative Daniel Cullinane
- Representative Diana DiZoglio
- Representative Daniel Donahue
- Representative Kenneth Gordon
- Representative Jonathan Hecht
- Representative Kevin Honan
- Representative Mary Keefe
- Representative Jay Livingstone
- Representative Elizabeth Malia
- Representative James O’Day
- Representative Denise Provost
- Representative David Rogers
- Representative Jeffrey Sanchez
- Representative Carl Sciortino Jr.
- Representative Frank Smizik
- Representative Timothy Toomey Jr.
- Representative Aaron Vega