Welcome to the Workforce Roundup! Below is the last couple of weeks of workforce news, resources and updates.
Two quick highlights for this week:
1) Come join SkillWorks, the Workforce Solutions Group, and the Youth Jobs Coalition for a Youth Pathways Advocacy Day at the State House – Thursday, April 10 at 11 am in room 437. Speakers include Senators Dan Wolf, Ken Donnelly, Tom McGee and Sonia Chang-Diaz and Representatives Alice Peisch and Tom Conroy.
2) In case you missed it, SkillWorks and Massbudget launched the new Jobs and Workforce Budget last week, an online interactive tool to track state investments in workforce training. Check it out–it will be updated as the House budget proposal is released today and as the budget is debated this spring!
There’s lots more below. Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce in the News
- To fill our talent pool, fix remedial education (Richard Freeland, Commonwealth Magazine, Spring 2014)
- Congressman Miller testifies on College Completion and Remediation (Hearing, House Committee on Education and the Workforce, April 4, 2014)
- Employers maintain “show me” attitude toward economy (AIM blog, April 1, 2014)
- Jobs and Skills and Zombies (NY Times, March 30, 2014)
Research and Reports
- Talent development seen as #1 workforce challenge (College for America, March 2014)
- Address Working Poverty by Promoting Work-Hour Security in Low-Wage, Hourly Jobs (Spotlight on Poverty, April 2014)
- Disrupting Poverty: Coming Together to Build Financial Security for Individuals and Communities (FSG, March 2014)
- Manufacturing Success: Improved Access to Vocational Education in Massachusetts and Report Supplemental Appendix (Northeastern University, March 2014)
- Plugging the Leaks in the STEM Pipeline (Complete College America)
Tools and Resources
- Joining Forces: A White House initiative to help veterans secure employment opportunities
- Commonwealth Corporation released the RFP for implementation grants from the Healthcare Workforce Transformation Trust Fund.
- Commonwealth Corporation is pleased to be seeking applications from employers, training organizations, labor organizations and intermediaries throughout Massachusetts for grants of up to $250,000 from the Workforce Training Fund General Program for investment in employee training.
- English for New Bostonians released a new RFP for English for Speakers of Other Languages, Due May 5.
- MA Executive Office of Administration and Finance released a Pay for Success solicitation for Adult Basic Education Intermediaries.
- Ready to Work Partnerships – This federal initiative will utilize approximately $150 million in revenues from the H-1B visa program to support high performing partnerships between employers, non-profit organizations and the public workforce system that will help provide long-term unemployed individuals with the range of services, training, and access they need to fill middle and high-skill jobs. USDOL expects that a solicitation for applications for these grants will be available in February and awards will be made in mid-2014. The SGA was released on February 19, and more information can be found here.
- April 10, 2014: Youth Pathways Advocacy Day – Workforce Solutions Group
- April 10, 2014: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle -Crittenton Women’s Union 2nd Annual Conference
- May 1, 2014: Sharing Skills~Building Connections – 11th Annual Commonwealth Workforce Coalition Conference
- June 17-19, 2014: National Fund for Workforce Solutions 4th Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL