Welcome to the Weekly Roundup! Below are this week’s workforce news, resources and updates.
This was an exciting week for workforce news. Most notably, President Obama, during the State of the Union Address, announced an “Opportunity for All” agenda that included a new government-wide initiative, led by Vice President Biden, to re-tool our nation’s workforce education and training programs so they are more responsive to the needs of local industry, and more effective in helping local folks gain access to skilled jobs with good wages. That was followed by a White House meeting with CEOs, including Massachusetts’ own Michael Tamasi of AccuRounds, to discuss a new initiative to help the long-term unemployed.
In addition, SkillWorks’ partner Year Up was highlighted on CBS’ 60 minutes for their work to close the opportunity divide for young adults.
Read about these initiatives and lots more below. Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce in the News
- AccuRounds CEO: We have a huge skills gap in this country (Fox News, January 31, 2014)
- Big Business Joins Obama Effort to Aid Long-term Unemployed (NY Times, January 31, 2014)
- Obama talks education, job training on road trip (USA Today, January 30, 2014)
- Improve Returns on Work – State of the Union Response (Aspen Institute, January 29, 2014)
- National Skills Coalition – State of the Union Response (National Skills Coalition, January 28, 2014)
- Jobs program aids Fortune 500 and Underprivileged Youth (CBS 60 Minutes, January 26, 2014)
- A host of opportunities in hospitality industry (Boston Globe, January 26, 2014)
- Build on What’s Already Working, Mr. President (Op Ed, Roll Call, January 24, 2014)
- Massachusetts unemployment rate slips to 7 percent (Boston Business Journal, January 23, 2014)
- Why We Need to Recognize America’s Frontline Health Care Workers (Op Ed, Huffington Post, January 20, 2014)
Research and Reports
- Addressing the Negative Cycle of Long -Term Unemployment (Executive Office of the President, January 2014)
- Using Brain Science to Design New Pathways out of Poverty (Crittenton Women’s Union, January 2014)
- Integrating Financial Stability Strategies into Workforce Development Programs (SkillWorks and Midas, December 2013)
Tools and Resources
- FREE Financial Coaching, courtesy of MassSaves – a new resource connects MA residents to free one to one financial coaching on a variety of topics.
- Tips on Coaching for College Success (SkillWorks and Success Boston, Webinar Slides)
- A Preview of the FY2015 State Budget (MassBudget)
- StrategyLabs.LuminaFoundation.org – a new online resource to advance state policy to increase higher education completion
- Recognize Champions of Frontline Health Care Workers – a new initiative of CareerSTAT. Deadline for nominations has been extended to the end of February!
- The Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development (HED) is seeking applications from workforce, education and/or employer organizations for precision manufacturing programs that provide training to unemployed and underemployed individuals including veterans, minorities and women and that support the workforce needs of the Commonwealth’s globally competitive advanced manufacturing cluster. To access the solicitation, please go to the MA Comm-Pass site at http://www.comm-pass.com/.
- Commonwealth Corporation is pleased to be seeking applications from employers, training organizations, labor organizations and intermediaries throughout Massachusetts for grants of up to $250,000 from the Workforce Training Fund General Program for investment in employee training.
- February 28th, 2014: Developing Contextualized Curriculum: Integrating Literary and Workforce Skills (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition and SABES Workshop Series for Workforce Development and ABE Practitioners)
- April 4, 2014: Network 2014 – Massachusetts Coalition for Adult Education Annual conference
- April 10, 2014: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle -Crittenton Women’s Union 2nd Annual Conference (Early registration deadline is Feb 14)
- May 1, 2014: Sharing Skills~Building Connections – 11th Annual Commonwealth Workforce Coalition Conference