Happy Holidays and Welcome to the Weekly Roundup!
Below is this week’s roundup. Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce in the News
- Workers Skills Aren’t Matching Available Jobs (The Boston Globe, December 15, 2013)
- Addressing College Costs for Adult Ed. Transition Students (Office of Vocational and Adult Education, December 13, 2013)
- Hill Resident Honored for Work Ethic (Mission Hill Gazette, December 13, 2013)
- JP Morgan Chase to Spend 250 Million on Jobs Initiative (The New York Times, December 11, 2013)
Research and Reports
- The Important Role Employment Plays in Building and Protecting Financial Assets (Brandeis University, December, 2013)
- Wealthiest Families Receive Largest Share of Tax-Based Student Aid (Second Piece in three-part series Higher Education Tax Reform: A Shared Agenda for Increasing College Affordability, Access, and Success, CLASP, December 2013
- Faces of Austerity: How Budget Cuts Have Made Us Sicker, Poorer, and Less Safe (NDD United Report, November, 2013)
- New OECD Report: US Must Raise Basic Skills (National Skills Coalition, November 2013)
- Making On-the-Job Training Work (Deborah Kobes, National Fund for Workforce Solutions 2.0, November 2013)
- The Effect of Unemployment Duration on Future Earnings and Other Outcomes (Daniel Cooper, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, November 2013)
Tools and Resources
- The Sector Skills Academy (The Aspen Institute) is now accepting applications for its next class to begin in April 2014. The Academy is a year-long program designed for leaders from community-based organizations, community colleges, local government, labor-management partnerships, worker centers, WIBs and business associations.
- Massachusetts Immigrant & Refugees Advocacy Coalition and Networks for Integrating New Americans are excited to share the announcement of a new federally funded technical assistance and peer learning opportunity.
- Guide and Tools for Navigators presents the main principles, tools and practices emerging from this work about the important and influential role that Navigators have on the college and career success of students.
- Career Pathways – Catalog of Toolkits is an online directory of free resources to help plan a career pathways initiative.
- Disability Employment Tracker is a powerful corporate tool developed by the National Organization on Disability, with the National Business and Disability Council and Sirota. The tracker helps companies across a range of industries confidentially assess their readiness to launch or expand their hiring of people with disabilities and veterans.
- The Skilled Trades Playbook serves as a one-stop, how-to guide with checklists and other tools to help businesses and community colleges work together to find, train, and place workers in the skilled trades.
- WorkHands is a new tool that helps the millions of skilled trades workers in this country build an online identity, connect with colleagues, and stand out in the job search.
- The Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development (HED) is pleased to announce that we are issuing $1,750,000 and seeking applications from multiple applicants from workforce, education and/or employer organizations. In accordance with the FY 14 budget language<http://www.mass.gov/bb/gaa/fy2014/app_14/act_14/h70020020.htm>, we are seeking applications for precision manufacturing programs that provide training to unemployed and underemployed individuals including veterans, minorities and women and that support the workforce needs of the Commonwealth’s globally competitive advanced manufacturing cluster. To access the solicitation, please go to the MA Comm-Pass site at http://www.comm-pass.com/.
- The American Association of Community Colleges is offering grants to member community colleges to start a Plus 50 Encore Completion program on their campus.
- Veterans to Nurses and Physician Assistants Workforce Program: Funding is available to provide education to veterans with prior medical training to become civilian nurses and physician assistants.
- Health Care Workforce Transformation Fund Planning Grant RFP is designed to provide applicants with funds to support planning to address workforce challenges that occur as a result of the requirements of implementing Chapter 224.
- Commonwealth Corporation is pleased to be seeking applications from employers, training organizations, labor organizations and intermediaries throughout Massachusetts for grants of up to $250,000 from the Workforce Training Fund General Program for investment in employee training.
- January 10, 2014: Modeling 21st Century Work Readiness Skills in Your Program and Classroom (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition and SABES Workshop Series for Workforce Development and ABE Practitioners)
- January 31, 2014: Career Planning: Integrating Career Awareness into Workforce and ABE Programming and Advising (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition and SABES Workshop Series for Workforce Development and ABE Practitioners)
- February 28th, 2014: Developing Contextualized Curriculum: Integrating Literary and Workforce Skills (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition and SABES Workshop Series for Workforce Development and ABE Practitioners)
- April 10, 2014: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle -Crittenton Women’s Union 2nd Annual Conference
- May 1, 2014: Sharing Skills~Building Connections – 11th Annual Commonwealth Workforce Coalition Conference