Welcome to the Weekly Roundup!
Below is this week’s roundup. Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce in the News
- Unemployed Increase as Mass Economy Slows (Megan Woolhouse, The Boston Globe, September 20, 2013)
Research and Reports
- Side-by-Side Analysis of Current Law and Proposed WIA Legislation– The National Skills Coalition released a side-by-side comparison of the current occupational training and adult education and family literacy provisions in current law to legislation in the House and Senate to reauthorize the Workforce Investment Act.
- Guided Pathways to Success: Boosting College Completion (Complete College America)
Tools and Resources
- Aspen Institute is conducting a survey on nonprofit-community college partnerships. In partnership with community colleges, these nonprofit organizations are offering a range of academic and non-academic supports to foster student success. We have called these types of collaborations Courses to Employment (C2E) partnerships and early research show students served by these partnerships achieve positive educational and employment outcomes. If you are a nonprofit organization engaged in this work, please take our survey here.
- WorkHands is a new tool that helps the millions of skilled trades workers in this country build an online identity, connect with colleagues, and stand out in the job search.
- Partnership for Automotive Career Education (PACE) is a well established education program that gives free automotive training to qualifying students, then gives their career a big push in the right direction.
- Commonwealth Corporation’s new blog, Mass Youth Unemployment provides resources and strategies that:
- Help combine work and leaning
- Ensure teens and young adults thrive on the job
- Provide easy ways to implement new programmatic ideas and share information with colleagues
- Support the work of youth employment staff at non-profits, public agencies, school programs…
- Massachusetts Clean Energy Center Internship Program has recently begun accepting applications for the 2013 fall session. The program provides paid internship opportunities for college students and recent graduates at Massachusets-based clean energy companies.
- The American Association of Community Colleges is offering grants to member community colleges to start a Plus 50 Encore Completion program on their campus.
- Veterans to Nurses and Physician Assistants Workforce Program: Funding is available to provide education to veterans with prior medical training to become civilian nurses and physician assistants.
- Health Care Workforce Transformation Fund Planning Grant RFP is designed to provide applicants with funds to support planning to address workforce challenges that occur as a result of the requirements of implementing Chapter 224.
- Commonwealth Corporation is pleased to be seeking applications from employers, training organizations, labor organizations and intermediaries throughout Massachusetts for grants of up to $250,000 from the Workforce Training Fund General Program for investment in employee training.
- September 27, 2013: Supporting Skilled Immigrants- An ESOL Practitioner’s Toolkit (World Education Services Global Talent Bridge)
- October 1, 2013: Payment Reform in MA- Impact and Opportunities for the Healthcare Workforce (Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA Foundation)
- October 8, 2013: Webinar: How to Improve Job Readiness with the Hard-to-Employ (National Network of Sector Partners)
- October 8, 2013: Community Investment Series Seminar on “Merger and Collaboration Strategies for Not-for-Profits” (Lawyers ClearingHouse and Boston Private Bank & Trust Company)
- October 9, 2013: 4th Annual Jobs and Workforce Summit at the Devens Common Conference Center( WSG_SavetheDate_2013)
- October 17, 2013: Boston Peer Learning Network Meeting: Employment, Housing & Financial Literacy: Family Self-Sufficiency Program (Crittenton Women’s Union)
- April 10, 2014: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle -Crittenton Women’s Union 2nd Annual Conference
- May 1, 2014: Sharing Skills~Building Connections – 11th Annual Commonwealth Workforce Coalition Conference