Welcome to the Weekly Roundup!
Below is this week’s roundup. Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Congratulations to the new Secretary of Labor Thomas E. Perez.
Vice President Joe Biden administered the oath of office to Secretary of Labor Thomas E. Perez during a formal ceremony on Sept. 4. Perez, who was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on July 18, is the 26th secretary of labor. In remarks that drew rounds of applause, Perez spoke of mentors and encounters that shaped his life, including the belief that “you can make it if you try.” He called for closing “the skills gap” by investing in the nation’s workforce, ensuring a safe and level playing field for workers, reforming the immigration system, and increasing the minimum wage. Perez praised companies and unions engaged in partnerships that “create living wage jobs for tomorrow” and business leaders who recognize that a living wage “makes for a more productive workforce, which means a more profitable company.” Boiled down to its essence, Perez said, “The Department of Labor is the Department of Opportunity.”
Click here to read the Secretary’s full remarks.
Workforce in the News
- Guest Opinion: Public-Private Partnerships Meet Workforce Needs for Manufacturers (Nancy Snyder and Kathleen Kirby, Taunton Daily Gazette, September 5th, 2013)
- We Need to Change the Way We View Low-Skilled Jobs (Maureen Conway, Huffington Post, September 1, 2013)
Research and Reports
- Building the Middle Class with Better Skills and Wages: Who Would Be Helped By Stronger Pathways (CLASP, September, 2013)
- Well-Educated Workforce is Key to State Prosperity (MassBudget Report, Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center, August 22, 2013)
- Millions of Workers Lack Tools for Economic Success, Need Better Skills and Wages ( Clasp Report, August 27, 2013)
Tools and Resources
- WorkHands is a new tool that helps the millions of skilled trades workers in this country build an online identity, connect with colleagues, and stand out in the job search.
- Partnership for Automotive Career Education (PACE) is a well established education program that gives free automotive training to qualifying students, then gives their career a big push in the right direction.
- Commonwealth Corporation’s new blog, Mass Youth Unemployment provides resources and strategies that:
- Help combine work and leaning
- Ensure teens and young adults thrive on the job
- Provide easy ways to implement new programmatic ideas and share information with colleagues
- Support the work of youth employment staff at non-profits, public agencies, school programs…
- Massachusetts Clean Energy Center Internship Program has recently begun accepting applications for the 2013 fall session. The program provides paid internship opportunities for college students and recent graduates at Massachusets-based clean energy companies.
- The American Association of Community Colleges is offering grants to member community colleges to start a Plus 50 Encore Completion program on their campus.
- Veterans to Nurses and Physician Assistants Workforce Program: Funding is available to provide education to veterans with prior medical training to become civilian nurses and physician assistants.
- Health Care Workforce Transformation Fund Planning Grant RFP is designed to provide applicants with funds to support planning to address workforce challenges that occur as a result of the requirements of implementing Chapter 224.
- Commonwealth Corporation is pleased to be seeking applications from employers, training organizations, labor organizations and intermediaries throughout Massachusetts for grants of up to $250,000 from the Workforce Training Fund General Program for investment in employee training.
- September 27, 2013: Supporting Skilled Immigrants- An ESOL Practitioner’s Toolkit (World Education Services Global Talent Bridge)
- October 8, 2013: Community Investment Series Seminar on “Merger and Collaboration Strategies for Not-for-Profits” (Lawyers ClearingHouse and Boston Private Bank & Trust Company)
- October 9, 2013: 4th Annual Jobs and Workforce Summit at the Devens Common Conference Center( WSG_SavetheDate_2013)
- October 17, 2013: Boston Peer Learning Network Meeting: Employment, Housing & Financial Literacy: Family Self-Sufficiency Program (Crittenton Women’s Union)
- April 10, 2014: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle -Crittenton Women’s Union 2nd Annual Conference
- May 1, 2014: Sharing Skills~Building Connections – 11th Annual Commonwealth Workforce Coalition Conference