Welcome to the Weekly Roundup!
Below is this week’s roundup. Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce in the News
- Congress Should Pass Workforce Training Bill (Fred Dedrick, Op-ed in Roll Call, September 3, 2013)
- Good Jobs- The Quiet Issue in Mayor’s Race ( Jerry Rubin, Op-Ed in Boston Globe, August 29, 2013)
Research and Reports
- Well-Educated Workforce is Key to State Prosperity (MassBudget Report, Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center, August 22, 2013)
- Millions of Workers Lack Tools for Economic Success, Need Better Skills and Wages ( Clasp Report, August 27, 2013)
Tools and Resources
- Commonwealth Corporation’s new blog, Mass Youth Unemployment provides resources and strategies that:
- Help combine work and leaning
- Ensure teens and young adults thrive on the job
- Provide easy ways to implement new programmatic ideas and share information with colleagues
- Support the work of youth employment staff at non-profits, public agencies, school programs…
- Massachusetts Clean Energy Center Internship Program has recently begun accepting applications for the 2013 fall session. The program provides paid internship opportunities for college students and recent graduates at Massachusets-based clean energy companies.
- The American Association of Community Colleges is offering grants to member community colleges to start a Plus 50 Encore Completion program on their campus.
- Veterans to Nurses and Physician Assistants Workforce Program: Funding is available to provide education to veterans with prior medical training to become civilian nurses and physician assistants.
- Health Care Workforce Transformation Fund Planning Grant RFP is designed to provide applicants with funds to support planning to address workforce challenges that occur as a result of the requirements of implementing Chapter 224.
- Commonwealth Corporation is pleased to be seeking applications from employers, training organizations, labor organizations and intermediaries throughout Massachusetts for grants of up to $250,000 from the Workforce Training Fund General Program for investment in employee training.
- October 9, 2013: 4th Annual Jobs and Workforce Summit at the Devens Common Conference Center( WSG_SavetheDate_2013)
- April 10, 2014: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle -Crittenton Women’s Union 2nd Annual Conference
- May 1, 2014: Sharing Skills~Building Connections – 11th Annual Commonwealth Workforce Coalition Conference