Welcome to the Weekly Roundup!
Below is this week’s roundup. Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce in the News
- Online System for Unemployment Claims Still Frustrating Jobless Workers (Megan Woolhouse, The Boston Globe, August 19, 2013)
Research and Reports
- Retirement and Medical Benefits: Who Has Both (Bureau of Labor Statistics, Beyond the Numbers, April 2013)
- Who Has Benefits in the Private Industry in 2012 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, Beyond the Numbers, April 2012)
- Experiences of Immigrant Workers: Challenged, Opportunities, and the Future of Our Economy Discussion (Aspen Institute’s Working in America series, Aspen Institute’s Economic Opportunities Program, July 31st, 2013)
- CLMS Research Paper: The Summer Employment Experiences and the Personal/Social Behaviors of Youth Violence Prevention Employment Program Participants and Those of a Comparison Group (Andrew Sum, Mykhaylo Trubskyy, Walter McHugh, Northeastern University, Center for Labor Market Studies, July 2013)
- Undoing Success: The Real Impact of Federal Workforce Development Funding Cuts on Jobseekers and Employers (National Skills Coalition, July 2013)
Tools and Resources
- Commonwealth Corporation’s new blog, Mass Youth Unemployment provides resources and strategies that:
- Help combine work and leaning
- Ensure teens and young adults thrive on the job
- Provide easy ways to implement new programmatic ideas and share information with colleagues
- Support the work of youth employment staff at non-profits, public agencies, school programs…
- The American Association of Community Colleges is offering grants to member community colleges to start a Plus 50 Encore Completion program on their campus.
- Veterans to Nurses and Physician Assistants Workforce Program: Funding is available to provide education to veterans with prior medical training to become civilian nurses and physician assistants.
- Health Care Workforce Transformation Fund Planning Grant RFP is designed to provide applicants with funds to support planning to address workforce challenges that occur as a result of the requirements of implementing Chapter 224.
- Commonwealth Corporation is pleased to be seeking applications from employers, training organizations, labor organizations and intermediaries throughout Massachusetts for grants of up to $250,000 from the Workforce Training Fund General Program for investment in employee training.
- October 9, 2013: 4th Annual Jobs and Workforce Summit at the Devens Common Conference Center( WSG_SavetheDate_2013)
- April 10, 2014: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle -Crittenton Women’s Union 2nd Annual Conference
- May 1, 2014: Sharing Skills~Building Connections – 11th Annual Commonwealth Workforce Coalition Conference