Welcome to the Weekly Roundup!
Below is this week’s roundup. Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce in the News
- Still Tough for Teens to Find Summer Jobs (Gail Waterhouse, Boston Globe, August 6th, 2013)
- Kennedy Introduces Manufacturing Bill (Jim O’Sullivan, Boston Globe, August 2, 2013)
- Summer Slump: Teens Struggle to Find Jobs (Here and Now, NPR, August 2nd, 2013)
- Senate Committee Advances Bill to Reauthorize Workforce and Adult Education Programs (Neil Ridley, CLASP, August 2nd)
Research and Reports
- Experiences of Immigrant Workers: Challenged, Opportunities, and the Future of Our Economy Discussion (Aspen Institute’s Working in America series, Aspen Institute’s Economic Opportunities Program, July 31st, 2013)
- CLMS Research Paper: The Summer Employment Experiences and the Personal/Social Behaviors of Youth Violence Prevention Employment Program Participants and Those of a Comparison Group (Andrew Sum, Mykhaylo Trubskyy, Walter McHugh, Northeastern University, Center for Labor Market Studies, July 2013)
- Undoing Success: The Real Impact of Federal Workforce Development Funding Cuts on Jobseekers and Employers (National Skills Coalition, July 2013)
Tools and Resources
- Commonwealth Corporation’s new blog, Mass Youth Unemployment provides resources and strategies that:
- Help combine work and leaning
- Ensure teens and young adults thrive on the job
- Provide easy ways to implement new programmatic ideas and share information with colleagues
- Support the work of youth employment staff at non-profits, public agencies, school programs…
- Crittenton Women’s Union (CWU) is pleased to invite submissions of research, policy and practice oriented papers, panels, and interactive workshops on innovative approaches to promoting economic mobility for Disrupting the Poverty Cycle, CWU’s 2nd conference, at UMass Boston on April 10, 2014.
- Veterans to Nurses and Physician Assistants Workforce Program: Funding is available to provide education to veterans with prior medical training to become civilian nurses and physician assistants.
- Health Care Workforce Transformation Fund Planning Grant RFP is designed to provide applicants with funds to support planning to address workforce challenges that occur as a result of the requirements of implementing Chapter 224.
- Commonwealth Corporation is pleased to be seeking applications from employers, training organizations, labor organizations and intermediaries throughout Massachusetts for grants of up to $250,000 from the Workforce Training Fund General Program for investment in employee training.
- August 8, 2013: Leaders in Advanced Manufacturing Breakfast Panel (Commonwealth Corporation, CONNECT, UMass Dartmouth)
- April 10, 2014: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle -Crittenton Women’s Union 2nd Annual Conference
- May 1, 2014: Sharing Skills~Building Connections – 11th Annual Commonwealth Workforce Coalition Conference