Welcome to the Weekly Roundup!
Below is this week’s roundup. Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce in the News
- Greater Lowell Firms Win $933G in Workforce Training Grants (Grant Welker, Lowell Sun, July 25th, 2013)
- Governor: BCC Workforce Center Doing What it Should Be (Chris Shott, South Coast Today, July 23rd, 2013)
Research and Reports
- CLMS Research Paper: The Summer Employment Experiences and the Personal/Social Behaviors of Youth Violence Prevention Employment Program Participants and Those of a Comparison Group (Andrew Sum, Mykhaylo Trubskyy, Walter McHugh, Northeastern University, Center for Labor Market Studies, July 2013)
- Undoing Success: The Real Impact of Federal Workforce Development Funding Cuts on Jobseekers and Employers (National Skills Coalition, July 2013)
- Testing a New Approach to Increase Employment Advancement for Low-Skilled Adults (Betsy Tessler, MDRC, June 2013)
Tools and Resources
- Commonwealth Corporation’s new blog, Mass Youth Unemployment provides resources and strategies that:
- Help combine work and leaning
- Ensure teens and young adults thrive on the job
- Provide easy ways to implement new programmatic ideas and share information with colleagues
- Support the work of youth employment staff at non-profits, public agencies, school programs…
- Crittenton Women’s Union (CWU) is pleased to invite submissions of research, policy and practice oriented papers, panels, and interactive workshops on innovative approaches to promoting economic mobility for Disrupting the Poverty Cycle, CWU’s 2nd conference, at UMass Boston on April 10, 2014.
- Health Care Workforce Transformation Fund Planning Grant RFP is designed to provide applicants with funds to support planning to address workforce challenges that occur as a result of the requirements of implementing Chapter 224.
- Commonwealth Corporation is pleased to be seeking applications from employers, training organizations, labor organizations and intermediaries throughout Massachusetts for grants of up to $250,000 from the Workforce Training Fund General Program for investment in employee training.
- August 8, 2013: Leaders in Advanced Manufacturing Breakfast Panel (Commonwealth Corporation, CONNECT, UMass Dartmouth)
- April 10, 2014: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle -Crittenton Women’s Union 2nd Annual Conference