Welcome to the Weekly Roundup!
Below is this week’s roundup. Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Congratulations to Mr. Thomas E. Perez who was appointed as head of the U.S. Department of Labor on Monday. Click here to read the National Skills Coalition’s statement of support for Mr. Perez’s appointment.
Workforce in the News
- In Climbing Income Ladder, Location Matters (David Leonhardt, The New York Times, July 22, 2013)
- It’s No Joke – Cartoon Highlights Deep Woes of the Unemployed (Joan Cirillo, The Boston Globe, July 24th, 2013)
Research and Reports
- CLMS Research Paper: The Summer Employment Experiences and the Personal/Social Behaviors of Youth Violence Prevention Employment Program Participants and Those of a Comparison Group (Andrew Sum, Mykhaylo Trubskyy, Walter McHugh, Northeastern University, Center for Labor Market Studies, July 2013)
- Undoing Success: The Real Impact of Federal Workforce Development Funding Cuts on Jobseekers and Employers (National Skills Coalition, July 2013)
- Testing a New Approach to Increase Employment Advancement for Low-Skilled Adults (Betsy Tessler, MDRC, June 2013)
Tools and Resources
- Crittenton Women’s Union (CWU) is pleased to invite submissions of research, policy and practice oriented papers, panels, and interactive workshops on innovative approaches to promoting economic mobility for Disrupting the Poverty Cycle, CWU’s 2nd conference, at UMass Boston on April 10, 2014.
- Massachusetts Healthcare Chartbook is a DHE grant project that was completed by Commonwealth Corporation. This graphical resource contains charts that inform workforce development professionals, educators, employers, and jobseekers about the status and recent history of Healthcare careers and the Healthcare and Social Assistance Sector in the Commonwealth.
- The U.S. Census Bureau has improved the variety of the online courses they offer. Click here for more information on how to register and which courses they offer. Some of their more useful courses for the workforce community include “Using Census Data for Grant Applications” and “How to Navigate American FactFinder”.
- Training Opportunity: Online Learning Readiness at Boston Neighborhood Network: Free workforce readiness training program geared at helping unemployed and underemployed residents gain new skills to impress future employers. To schedule an assessment, applicants should email email@example.com with their complete mailing address and phone number.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Individuals with Disabilities RFP (CommCorp) is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed individuals with disabilities into jobs.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Homeless Individuals RFP (CommCorp) is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed homeless individuals into jobs.
- April 10, 2014: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle -Crittenton Women’s Union 2nd Annual Conference