Happy Workforce Wednesday and Happy 4th of July!
Below is this week’s roundup. Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Last week, Senators Sherrod Brown (D-OH) and Susan Collins (R-ME) introduced bipartisan legislation, the Strengthening Employment Clusters to Organize Regional Success (SECTORS) Act of 2013, which would provide federal grants to states for the creation of industry-led partnerships. National Skills Coalition strongly supports this legislation.
It is estimated there are 1,000 sector partnerships operating across the country. Some states are moving to integrate sector-based approaches at the state level across their workforce development systems, despite a lack of explicit federal support for these programs. The SECTORS Act would establish new federal support for these sector partnerships, and would create specific performance measures to recognize and reward states that are taking steps to more effectively engage employers.
These partnerships have been proven to be effective at providing workers better job opportunities by matching job training and credentials with the skills employers are looking for. Sector partnerships do this by bringing together employers and other stakeholders connected to local and regional industries to better align job training with the immediate skill shortages, while developing workforce pipelines to ensure the future of that industry.
The SECTORS Act has received bipartisan support in the past. It was passed in the House of Representatives in 2010 but never received a vote in the Senate. We have an opportunity this year to pass this important legislation but we can’t do it without your help!
Contact your Senators and tell them to support the SECTORS Act to better align skills training with the needs of America’s growing industries!
Workforce in the News
- Massachusetts’ Schools: Computer Science Students are Still Outliers (Boston Globe, July 2nd, 2013)
- Crisis: Youth Unemployment Doesn’t Work (Boston Business Journal, June 28th, 2013)
Research and Reports
- Testing a New Approach to Increase Employment Advancement for Low-Skilled Adults (Betsy Tessler, MDRC, June 2013)
- Complete College America – Massachusetts (completecollege.org, June 2013)
- Middle-Skill Jobs Remain More Common Among Rural Workers (The Carsey Institute at the University of New Hampshire, June 2013)
Tools and Resources
- Crittenton Women’s Union (CWU) is pleased to invite submissions of research, policy and practice oriented papers, panels, and interactive workshops on innovative approaches to promoting economic mobility for Disrupting the Poverty Cycle, CWU’s 2nd conference, at UMass Boston on April 10, 2014.
- Massachusetts Healthcare Chartbook is a DHE grant project that was completed by Commonwealth Corporation. This graphical resource contains charts that inform workforce development professionals, educators, employers, and jobseekers about the status and recent history of Healthcare careers and the Healthcare and Social Assistance Sector in the Commonwealth.
- The U.S. Census Bureau has improved the variety of the online courses they offer. Click here for more information on how to register and which courses they offer. Some of their more useful courses for the workforce community include “Using Census Data for Grant Applications” and “How to Navigate American FactFinder”.
- Training Opportunity: Online Learning Readiness at Boston Neighborhood Network: Free workforce readiness training program geared at helping unemployed and underemployed residents gain new skills to impress future employers. To schedule an assessment, applicants should email email@example.com with their complete mailing address and phone number.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Individuals with Disabilities RFP (CommCorp) is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed individuals with disabilities into jobs.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Homeless Individuals RFP (CommCorp) is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed homeless individuals into jobs.
- July 18, 2013: Webcast: Diversifying the Workplace by Employing People with Disabilities (National Organization on Disabilities)
- April 10, 2014: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle -Crittenton Women’s Union 2nd Annual Conference