Happy Workforce Wednesday!
Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Welfare Reform – Education and Skills Training Elements
As most of you know by now, the Senate passed a Welfare Reform bill on Thursday night, June 20. SkillWorks and the Workforce Solutions Group, led by our partner the Crittenton Women’s Union, was particularly interested in ensuring that the bill contained provision to help families get the education and training they need to become self-sufficient.
As passed, the bill contained several positive provisions, including a new “Full Employment Program” to be administered by Commonwealth Corporation in consultation with an advisory committee of training providers and employers; a provision that protects families by allowing for some good cause exemptions from job search requirements; allowing families to count participation in education and training toward the work requirement longer than the currently allowable 12 months; and allowing families to save money for educational expenses without having it count as income.
Stay tuned for next steps–the House takes up the bill soon, and there is more debate to come!
Workforce in the News
- Governor Announces Manufacturing Partnership Academy (Associated Industries of MA, June 20, 2013)
- Citizens Bank Awards $275k in Grants to Summer Jobs Programs in Boston and Springfield (Boston Globe, June 22, 2013)
Research and Reports
- Complete College America – Massachusetts (completecollege.org, June 2013)
- Middle-Skill Jobs Remain More Common Among Rural Workers (The Carsey Institute at the University of New Hampshire, June 2013)
- It Takes More Than a Major: Employer Priorities for College Learning and Student Success(Hart Research Associates, The Association of American Colleges and Universities, April 2013)
- How Career and Technical Education Can Help Students be College and Career Ready (American Youth Policy Forum, College and Career Readiness and Success Center at the American Institutes for Research, May 2013)
- Massachusetts Reemployment Services (RES) Program
- Getting More College Students to Graduation Day- New Data on Public Two-Year Institutions (Julie Strawn, Marcie Foster, Patrick Reimherr, CLASP, May 2013)
Tools and Resources
- Crittenton Women’s Union (CWU) is pleased to invite submissions of research, policy and practice oriented papers, panels, and interactive workshops on innovative approaches to promoting economic mobility for Disrupting the Poverty Cycle, CWU’s 2nd conference, at UMass Boston on April 10, 2014.
- Massachusetts Healthcare Chartbook is a DHE grant project that was completed by Commonwealth Corporation. This graphical resource contains charts that inform workforce development professionals, educators, employers, and jobseekers about the status and recent history of Healthcare careers and the Healthcare and Social Assistance Sector in the Commonwealth.
- JVS: Bridges to College program is currently recruiting students for their July 2013 cycle. They are offering an exciting new track with a biotechnology focus in partnership with Quincy College. Click on the following links for more information: JVS_BioTech Flyer July 2013, Quick Facts_Biotech learning Community
- The U.S. Census Bureau has improved the variety of the online courses they offer. Click here for more information on how to register and which courses they offer. Some of their more useful courses for the workforce community include “Using Census Data for Grant Applications” and “How to Navigate American FactFinder”.
- Training Opportunity: Online Learning Readiness at Boston Neighborhood Network: Free workforce readiness training program geared at helping unemployed and underemployed residents gain new skills to impress future employers. To schedule an assessment, applicants should email email@example.com with their complete mailing address and phone number.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Individuals with Disabilities RFP (CommCorp) is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed individuals with disabilities into jobs.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Homeless Individuals RFP (CommCorp) is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed homeless individuals into jobs.
- June 30, 2013: All Roads Lead to Placement: Improve your Outcomes – Webinar for a nontraditional look at ways to improve your job placement outcomes
- April 10, 2014: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle -Crittenton Women’s Union 2nd Annual Conference