Happy Workforce Wednesday!
Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce in the News
- Why Teens Need Summer Jobs (Boston Globe, June 15, 2013)
- Moving People off Welfare is Part of Overhaul (Lowell Sun, June 14th, 2013)
- Overhaul Urged Madison Park Technical Vocational High-School (Boston Globe, June 16, 2013)
- Frustration, Boredom, and Courage: A Day in the Life of the Longterm Unemployed (Megan Woolhouse, Boston Globe, June 17, 2013)
- Patrick and Menino to Announce Partnership Between Madison Park and RCC (James Vaznis, Boston Globe, June 18, 2013)
- Fixing America’s Talent Problem (Jamie Merisotis, The Huffington Post, June 13, 2013)
- Bill Clinton on Closing the US Worker Skills Gap (Business Week, June 13, 2013)
- A Sharp Rise in Americans with College Degrees (New York Times, June 13, 2013)
- Tech Leaders Push for Computer Standards in Mass Public Schools (Boston Globe, June 10, 2013)
- Fantasia New Harmonix Video Game Redefines Practical Learning (Boston Globe, June 13, 2013)
Research and Reports
- Complete College America – Massachusetts (completecollege.org, June 2013)
- Middle-Skill Jobs Remain More Common Among Rural Workers (The Carsey Institute at the University of New Hampshire, June 2013)
- It Takes More Than a Major: Employer Priorities for College Learning and Student Success(Hart Research Associates, The Association of American Colleges and Universities, April 2013)
- How Career and Technical Education Can Help Students be College and Career Ready (American Youth Policy Forum, College and Career Readiness and Success Center at the American Institutes for Research, May 2013)
- Massachusetts Reemployment Services (RES) Program
- Getting More College Students to Graduation Day- New Data on Public Two-Year Institutions (Julie Strawn, Marcie Foster, Patrick Reimherr, CLASP, May 2013)
Tools and Resources
- Crittenton Women’s Union (CWU) is pleased to invite submissions of research, policy and practice oriented papers, panels, and interactive workshops on innovative approaches to promoting economic mobility for Disrupting the Poverty Cycle, CWU’s 2nd conference, at UMass Boston on April 10, 2014.
- Massachusetts Healthcare Chartbook is a DHE grant project that was completed by Commonwealth Corporation. This graphical resource contains charts that inform workforce development professionals, educators, employers, and jobseekers about the status and recent history of Healthcare careers and the Healthcare and Social Assistance Sector in the Commonwealth.
- JVS: Bridges to College program is currently recruiting students for their July 2013 cycle. They are offering an exciting new track with a biotechnology focus in partnership with Quincy College. Click on the following links for more information: JVS_BioTech Flyer July 2013, Quick Facts_Biotech learning Community
- The U.S. Census Bureau has improved the variety of the online courses they offer. Click here for more information on how to register and which courses they offer. Some of their more useful courses for the workforce community include “Using Census Data for Grant Applications” and “How to Navigate American FactFinder”.
- Training Opportunity: Online Learning Readiness at Boston Neighborhood Network: Free workforce readiness training program geared at helping unemployed and underemployed residents gain new skills to impress future employers. To schedule an assessment, applicants should email firstname.lastname@example.org with their complete mailing address and phone number.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Individuals with Disabilities RFP (CommCorp) is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed individuals with disabilities into jobs.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Homeless Individuals RFP (CommCorp) is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed homeless individuals into jobs.
- June 30, 2013: All Roads Lead to Placement: Improve your Outcomes – Webinar for a nontraditional look at ways to improve your job placement outcomes
- April 10, 2014: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle -Crittenton Women’s Union 2nd Annual Conference