Happy Workforce Wednesday!
Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce in the News
- If Employment Game Has Changed, Who’s Teaching the Rules (WBUR, NPR, June 2, 2013)
- Biogen to collaborate with Worcester Polytechnic Institute on Biomanufacturing Training (Boston Business Journal, May 30th, 2013)
Research and Reports
- Hard Time: College Majors, Unemployment and Earnings (Georgetown University, May 2013)
- Getting More College Students to Graduation Day- New Data on Public Two-Year Institutions (Julie Strawn, Marcie Foster, Patrick Reimherr, CLASP, May 2013)
- Apples to Apples: Making Data Work for Community-Based Workforce Development Programs: A new report from the national Benchmarking Project offers an unprecedented opportunity to examine the results of community-based organizations’ (CBOs) efforts to help jobseekers find and keep employment. (Corporation for a Skilled Workforce)
- Retaining Recent College Graduates in New England: An Update on Current Trends (Boston Fed’s New England Public Policy Center, May 2013) Over the past two decades, the population of recent college graduates has been growing more slowly in New England than in the rest of the nation. This brief considers this trend, comparing New England with other regions and examining the reasons why recent college graduates choose to leave the region.
Tools and Resources
- Building Blocks of Labor Market Success: Evidence from O*NET Job Analysis Surveys. This report analyzes the O*NET database at the United States Department of Labor to identify the key features of occupations in which teens work and how those features compare to higher level jobs. Teen labor market jobs place a high value on a set of work behaviors. The importance of those work behaviors remains steady at all levels of occupations over the course of a teen’s working life.
- Training Opportunity: Online Learning Readiness at Boston Neighborhood Network: Free workforce readiness training program geared at helping unemployed and underemployed residents gain new skills to impress future employers. To schedule an assessment, applicants should email firstname.lastname@example.org with their complete mailing address and phone number.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Individuals with Disabilities RFP (CommCorp) is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed individuals with disabilities into jobs.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Homeless Individuals RFP (CommCorp) is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed homeless individuals into jobs.
- June 13, 2013: Building your Participants’ Soft Skills (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition)
- June 30, 2013: All Roads Lead to Placement: Improve your Outcomes – Webinar for a nontraditional look at ways to improve your job placement outcomes