Happy Workforce Wednesday!
Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce in the News
- Biogen to collaborate with Worcester Polytechnic Institute on biomanufacturing training (Julie Donnelly, Boston Business Journal, May 30th)
Research and Reports
- Apples to Apples: Making Data Work for Community-Based Workforce Development Programs: A new report from the national Benchmarking Project offers an unprecedented opportunity to examine the results of community-based organizations’ (CBOs) efforts to help jobseekers find and keep employment. (Corporation for a Skilled Workforce)
- Retaining Recent College Graduates in New England: An Update on Current Trends (Boston Fed’s New England Public Policy Center, May 2013) Over the past two decades, the population of recent college graduates has been growing more slowly in New England than in the rest of the nation. This brief considers this trend, comparing New England with other regions and examining the reasons why recent college graduates choose to leave the region.
- Integrating Financial Security and Asset-Building Strategies into Workforce Development Programs (Angela Duran, Jennifer Brooks and Jennifer Medina, Corporation for Enterprise Development, May 2013)
- Helping Adult Learners Navigate Community College and the Labor Market (The Aspen Institute, May 13th)
Tools and Resources
- Building Blocks of Labor Market Success: Evidence from O*NET Job Analysis Surveys. This report analyzes the O*NET database at the United States Department of Labor to identify the key features of occupations in which teens work and how those features compare to higher level jobs. Teen labor market jobs place a high value on a set of work behaviors. The importance of those work behaviors remains steady at all levels of occupations over the course of a teen’s working life.
- 2013 First Literacy scholarship applications are now available for adult learners who have completed an ABE/adult literacy program in Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, Somerville, or Watertown between April 2012 and July 2013 AND have been accepted to a higher education or vocational training of substantial duration.
- Training Opportunity: Online Learning Readiness at Boston Neighborhood Network: Free workforce readiness training program geared at helping unemployed and underemployed residents gain new skills to impress future employers. To schedule an assessment, applicants should email email@example.com with their complete mailing address and phone number.
- Acting Secretary of Labor Seth D. Harris announced the availability of an additional $474 million in funding to support community colleges and their efforts to strengthen partnerships with area employers and deliver more efficient and effective training programs for the American workforce. Click here to learn more.
- $20 Million in Grant Funds from the US Dept. of Labor is now available to help adults in work release programs gain industry-recognized credentials and employment. Click here to learn more.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Individuals with Disabilities RFP (CommCorp) is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed individuals with disabilities into jobs.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Homeless Individuals RFP (CommCorp) is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed homeless individuals into jobs.
- June 11-13, 2013: National Fund for Workforce Solutions Annual Meeting (early registration deadline is May 1) (National Fund for Workforce Solutions)
- June 13, 2013: Building your Participants’ Soft Skills (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition)
- June 30, 2013: All Roads Lead to Placement: Improve your Outcomes – Webinar for a nontraditional look at ways to improve your job placement outcomes