Happy Workforce Wednesday!
Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
House Restored Some Cuts to Job Training in the FY14 Budget
See the WSG FY14 Budget Chart here for line item information
Contact your Senators to let them know your budget priorities for job training and workforce development! The Senate Ways and Means Committee is developing their budget now and it will be released on Wed. May 15th. Be sure to ask your Senator to request funding for these priorities and to be willing to sponsor or co-sponsor an amendment if they are not in the budget!
Workforce in the News
- Manufacturing Skills Initiative Wins John Gould Award from AIM (Brian Gilmore, AIM Business Insider, May 2013)
- Workforce Training Fund Streamlines Grant Process (Christopher Geehern, AIM Business Insider, April 24, 2013)
Research and Reports
- Stepping Up for Community Colleges: Building on the Momentum to Improve Student Success in Massachusetts (The Boston Foundation, April 2013)
- Signaling Success: Boosting Teen Employment Prospects. This report presents findings from nearly 200 businesses about their perceptions of teens’ hard skills, work behaviors, employment laws, factors affecting their hiring decisions and other hiring preferences. The study also reports on the rigorous screening process for entry-level employees and the signals that teens present when seeking employment.
- Massachusetts Economic Independence Index 2013 (Crittenton Women’s Union, March 2013)
- Hot Jobs 2013 (Crittenton Women’s Union, March 2013)
- Financial Pressures Drive Down College Completion – A Continuation of the Clasp RADD Chart Series (CLASP, March 2013)
- Labor Market Trends for the Commonwealth’s 8 regions (Commonwealth Corporation, March 1st)
- Closing the Massachusetts Skills Gap: Recommendations and Action Steps (Commonwealth Corporation capstone report, March 2013)
Tools and Resources
- Building Blocks of Labor Market Success: Evidence from O*NET Job Analysis Surveys. This report analyzes the O*NET database at the United States Department of Labor to identify the key features of occupations in which teens work and how those features compare to higher level jobs. Teen labor market jobs place a high value on a set of work behaviors. The importance of those work behaviors remains steady at all levels of occupations over the course of a teen’s working life.
- 2013 First Literacy scholarship applications are now available for adult learners who have completed an ABE/adult literacy program in Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, Somerville, or Watertown between April 2012 and July 2013 AND have been accepted to a higher education or vocational training of substantial duration.
- Training Opportunity: Online Learning Readiness at Boston Neighborhood Network: Free workforce readiness training program geared at helping unemployed and underemployed residents gain new skills to impress future employers. To schedule an assessment, applicants should email firstname.lastname@example.org with their complete mailing address and phone number.
- Acting Secretary of Labor Seth D. Harris announced the availability of an additional $474 million in funding to support community colleges and their efforts to strengthen partnerships with area employers and deliver more efficient and effective training programs for the American workforce. Click here to learn more.
- $20 Million in Grant Funds from the US Dept. of Labor is now available to help adults in work release programs gain industry-recognized credentials and employment. Click here to learn more.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Individuals with Disabilities RFP (CommCorp) is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed individuals with disabilities into jobs.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Homeless Individuals RFP (CommCorp) is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed homeless individuals into jobs.
- May 3, 2013: Webinar- Link Learning to Work: Engage Employers to Develop Career Paths to Support Recruitment, Retention and Readiness (Council for Adult and Experiential Learning)
- May 9, 2013: Commonwealth Workforce Coalition 10th Annual Conference ( Register here!)
- May 16, 2013: Webinar: Investing in Skilled Immigrant Integration (National College Transition Network)
- May 22, 2013: From Jails to Jobs: How to Help Youth and Adults with Criminal Records Get Jobs! (National Network of Sector Partners)
- June 11-13, 2013: National Fund for Workforce Solutions Annual Meeting (early registration deadline is May 1) (National Fund for Workforce Solutions)