Happy Workforce Thursday!
Here’s the roundup for this week — please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
The Skilled Careers in Life Sciences Initiative will be holding training sessions for unemployed and underemployed adults starting in September 2013. If you’d like to learn more, attend one of the Life Sciences/SCILS information sessions listed at www.scilsinitiative.org!
Research and Reports
- Massachusetts Economic Independence Index 2013 (Crittenton Women’s Union, March 2013)
- Hot Jobs 2013 (Crittenton Women’s Union, March 2013)
- Financial Pressures Drive Down College Completion – A Continuation of the Clasp RADD Chart Series (CLASP, March 2013)
- Home Economics: A Discussion about the Unregulated World of Domestic Work (The Aspen Institute’s Workforce Strategies Initiative)
- Labor Market Trends for the Commonwealth’s 8 regions (Commonwealth Corporation, March 1st)
- Closing the Massachusetts Skills Gap: Recommendations and Action Steps (Commonwealth Corporation capstone report, March 2013)
Tools and Resources
- 2013 First Literacy scholarship applications are now available for adult learners who have completed an ABE/adult literacy program in Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, Somerville, or Watertown between April 2012 and July 2013 AND have been accepted to a higher education or vocational training of substantial duration.
- New JVS Skills Training Program -Pharmacy Technician Certification starts April 16th, 2013. Click here to learn more about this 12 week program that prepares participants to pass the national pharmacy technician certification exam.
- Training Opportunity: Online Learning Readiness at Boston Neighborhood Network: Free workforce readiness training program geared at helping unemployed and underemployed residents gain new skills to impress future employers. To schedule an assessment, applicants should email email@example.com with their complete mailing address and phone number.
- $20 Million in Grant Funds from the US Dept. of Labor is now available to help adults in work release programs gain industry-recognized credentials and employment. Click here to learn more.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Individuals with Disabilities RFP is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed individuals with disabilities into jobs.
- The Employment Programs for Special Target Occupations: Homeless Individuals RFP is designed to prepare, support and place un/underemployed homeless individuals into jobs.
- April 5, 2013: Massachusetts Coalition for Adult Education Network Conference (MCAE)
- April 5, 2013: Webinar Where’s the Money? Innovative City and State Funding Approaches to Supporting Transitional Jobs & Subsidized Employment (Big Ideas for Jobs Project and the National Transitional Jobs Network and the Center for Law and Social Policy)
- April 9, 2013: Coaching for College and Career Workshop (The Boston Foundation)
- April 10, 2013: The Mass. Index & Hot Jobs 2013 Webinar: Real World Applications for Using Cost of Living and Jobs Data to Promote Self-Sufficiency (Crittenton Women’s Union)
- April 11, 2013: Labor Market Trends for the Practitioner Conference (MWPA and Commonwealth Corporation)
- April 11, 2013: Free Webinar- Understanding Credential Evaluation (Global Talent Bridge)
- April 16, 2013:US Census Training (Crittenton Women’s Union)
- April 17, 2013: Insights from the Ideas for Action Awards: Career Pathways Out of Poverty (CLASP Audio Conference Series)
- April 24, 2013: Release of Closing the Massachusetts Skills Gap: Recommendations and Action Steps (Commonwealth Corporation)
- April 30, 2013: Webinar- Matchmaker, Matchmaker: Improve Participant Assessment to Make Better Training
- May 3, 2013: Webinar- Link Learning to Work: Engage Employers to Develop Career Paths to Support Recruitment, Retention and Readiness (Council for Adult and Experiential Learning)
- May 9, 2013: Commonwealth Workforce Coalition 10th Annual Conference ( Register here!)
- May 22, 2013: From Jails to Jobs: How to Help Youth and Adults with Criminal Records Get Jobs! (National Network of Sector Partners)