Happy Workforce Wednesday!
Here’s the roundup for this week — please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
The Skilled Careers in Life Sciences Initiative will be holding training sessions for unemployed and underemployed adults starting in September 2013. If you’d like to learn more, attend one of the Life Sciences/SCILS information sessions listed at www.scilsinitiative.org!
Workforce in the News
- Low-Wage Workers Feel Worse Off Now Than During Recession: Survey (Tom Raum and Jennifer Agiesta, The Huffington Post, March 2013)
- Long-term Joblessness Hits Older Workers Hard (Megan Woolhouse, The Boston Globe, March 25, 2013)
- Single-Mother Families Struggling in Mass. (Katie Johnston, The Boston Globe, March 2013)
- What Does it Take for a Single Parent To Get By in Mass. (90.9 WBUR Radio
- Crittenton Women’s Union President/CEO Elizabeth Babcock Joins Boston Public Radio with Braude and Eagan (WGBH, Boston Public Radion, March 2013)
Research and Reports
- Massachusetts Economic Independence Index 2013 (Crittenton Women’s Union, March 2013)
- Hot Jobs 2013 (Crittenton Women’s Union, March 2013)
- Financial Pressures Drive Down College Completion – A Continuation of the Clasp RADD Chart Series (CLASP, March 2013)
- Home Economics: A Discussion about the Unregulated World of Domestic Work (The Aspen Institute’s Workforce Strategies Initiative)
- Labor Market Trends for the Commonwealth’s 8 regions (Commonwealth Corporation, March 1st)
- Closing the Massachusetts Skills Gap: Recommendations and Action Steps (Commonwealth Corporation capstone report, March 2013)
Tools and Resources
- New JVS Skills Training Program -Pharmacy Technician Certification starts April 16th, 2013. Click here to learn more about this 12 week program that prepares participants to pass the national pharmacy technician certification exam.
- Training Opportunity: Online Learning Readiness at Boston Neighborhood Network: Free workforce readiness training program geared at helping unemployed and underemployed residents gain new skills to impress future employers. To schedule an assessment, applicants should email firstname.lastname@example.org with their complete mailing address and phone number.
- VIDEO: “In Search of the Skilled Worker: Finding, Training and Placing Workers in the Skilled Trades” First in a series of roundtables and webinars – Partnerships and Practice
- ETA “Mobilizes” Its Job Search Tools: The ETA’s most popular online tools will now be available as a mobile-optimized website.
- GED Test Series to Go All Digital (Workforc3 One Newsletter)
- Labor Market Information Resources include six new podcasts that help you identify and use workforce statistics. The ETA also issued all of the products that were funded by the ARRA’s State Labor Market Information Improvement Grants. Follow the link to view the catalogue of all participating state products, evaluations, practitioner briefs, a Webinar, and podcasts.
- The Census Bureau has released an Economic Indicator Mobile App, “America’s Economy“
- Innovative Technology Pilot Project: Mobile Apps (World Education’s National College Transition Network) The project goal is to develop and pilot two apps (for use on standard feature phones and smart phones) that accelerate learning of academic and health career related vocabulary and concepts for adults preparing to enter post-secondary education and technical training.
- Pathways out of Poverty Grant Program – Massachusetts Clean Energy Center: This grant program supports job training programs directed toward the clean energy industry that move training participants towards financial self-sufficiency.
- Stand Down Grants: These grants provide an estimated 10,000 homeless veterans with opportunities to reintegrate into society.
- April 2, 2013: The release of “Signaling Success: Improving Teen Employment Prospects (Commonwealth Corporation)
- April 5, 2013: Massachusetts Coalition for Adult Education Network Conference (MCAE)
- April 9, 2013: Coaching for College and Career Workshop (The Boston Foundation)
- April 11, 2013: Labor Market Trends for the Practitioner Conference (MWPA and Commonwealth Corporation)
- April 16, 2013:US Census Training (Crittenton Women’s Union)
- April 17, 2013: Insights from the Ideas for Action Awards: Career Pathways Out of Poverty (CLASP Audio Conference Series)
- April 30, 2013: Webinar- Matchmaker, Matchmaker: Improve Participant Assessment to Make Better Training
- May 3, 2013: Webinar- Link Learning to Work: Engage Employers to Develop Career Paths to Support Recruitment, Retention and Readiness (Council for Adult and Experiential Learning)
- May 9, 2013: Commonwealth Workforce Coalition 10th Annual Conference ( Register here!)