Happy Workforce Friday!
Here’s the roundup for this week — please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
The House this week is set to vote on two bills that would make it difficult for workers to get the training and services they need to get a well-paying job to support their families
Help these workers by Telling Congress to VOTE NO on the Skills Act and The Preserving Work Requirements for Welfare Programs Act.
The Skilled Careers in Life Sciences Initiative will be holding training sessions for unemployed and underemployed adults starting in September 2013. If you’d like to learn more attend one of the Life Sciences/SCILS information sessions listed at www.scilsinitiative.org!
Workforce in the News
- New York’s Move to Abandon the GED is a a Game Changer (Marcie Foster, CLASP, March 12, 2013)
Research and Reports
- Labor Market Trends for the Commonwealth’s 8 regions (Commonwealth Corporation, March 1st)
- Closing the Massachusetts Skills Gap: Recommendations and Action Steps (Commonwealth Corporation capstone report, March 2013)
- Reforming Student Aid: How to Simplify Tax Aid and Use Performance Metrics to Improve College Choices and Completion (Center on Postsecondary and Economic Success, CLASP, February 2013)
- Pell Grants on Solid Ground for Now – Let’s Keep it That Way (Julie Strawn, Marcie Foster, CLASP.org, February 2013)
- Career Pathways: Take the Next Step Toward Quality and Scale (Vicki Choitz, Marcie W.M Foster, Patrick Reimherr, CLASP, February 2013)
- Home Economics: A Discussion about the Unregulated World of Domestic Work (The Aspen Institute’s Workforce Strategies Initiative)
Tools and Resources
- Training Opportunity: Online Learning Readiness at Boston Neighborhood Network: Free workforce readiness training program geared at helping unemployed and underemployed residents gain new skills to impress future employers. To schedule an assessment, applicants should email email@example.com with their complete mailing address and phone number.
- VIDEO: “In Search of the Skilled Worker: Finding, Training and Placing Workers in the Skilled Trades” First in a series of roundtables and webinars – Partnerships and Practice
- ETA “Mobilizes” Its Job Search Tools: The ETA’s most popular online tools will now be available as a mobile-optimized website.
- GED Test Series to Go All Digital (Workforc3 One Newsletter)
- Labor Market Information Resources include six new podcasts that help you identify and use workforce statistics. The ETA also issued all of the products that were funded by the ARRA’s State Labor Market Information Improvement Grants. Follow the link to view the catalogue of all participating state products, evaluations, practitioner briefs, a Webinar, and podcasts.
- The Census Bureau has released an Economic Indicator Mobile App, “America’s Economy“
- Innovative Technology Pilot Project: Mobile Apps (World Education’s National College Transition Network) The project goal is to develop and pilot two apps (for use on standard feature phones and smart phones) that accelerate learning of academic and health career related vocabulary and concepts for adults preparing to enter post-secondary education and technical training.
- Pathways out of Poverty Grant Program – Massachusetts Clean Energy Center: This grant program supports job training programs directed toward the clean energy industry that move training participants towards financial self-sufficiency.
- Stand Down Grants: These grants provide an estimated 10,000 homeless veterans with opportunities to reintegrate into society.
- March 21, 2013: Crittenton Women’s Union Release the Real Costs of Living in MA
- March 26, 2013: Understanding Boston: Life Sciences Innovation as a Catalyst for Economic Development report release (The Boston Foundation) to RSVP email RSVP@tbf.org
- April 2, 2013: The release of “Signaling Success: Improving Teen Employment Prospects (Commonwealth Corporation)
- April 5, 2013: Massachusetts Coalition for Adult Education Network Conference (MCAE)
- April 9, 2013: Coaching for College and Career Workshop (The Boston Foundation)
- April 11, 2013: Labor Market Trends for the Practitioner Conference (MWPA and Commonwealth Corporation)
- April 30, 2013: Webinar- Matchmaker, Matchmaker: Improve Participant Assessment to Make Better Training
- May 9, 2013: Commonwealth Workforce Coalition 10th Annual Conference