Happy Workforce Thursday!
Here’s the roundup for this week — please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
- We’re very excited to be attending the Crittenton Women’s Union’s upcoming event where they will release the 2013 Hot Jobs report and the Massachusetts Economic Independence Index! This is always a great event, and we hope to see you there! Click to register/for more information
- The National Skills Coalition has released analyses of WIA Bills ahead of House Committee action: The House Education and the Workforce Committee has scheduled a mark-up for Wednesday of its WIA reauthorization bill—the Supporting Knowledge and Investing in Lifelong Skills (SKILLS) Act (H.R. 803). The bill, as currently drafted, will likely reduce access to federally-funded skills training, particularly for those individuals with the greatest barriers to employment.Check out NSC’s analysis of the SKILLS Act and learn more about WIA reauthorization in the 113th Congress.
Workforce in the News
- An Urgent Call for Higher Wages (Katie Johnston, The Boston Globe, March 3rd)
- What do Employers Really Want from College Students? (Amy Scott, The Marketplace, NPR, March 4th)
- Community Colleges Offer Accelerated Training (Mary Moore, The Boston Business Journal, March 1st)
Research and Reports
- Labor Market Trends for the Commonwealth’s 8 regions (Commonwealth Corporation, March 1st)
- Closing the Massachusetts Skills Gap: Recommendations and Action Steps (Commonwealth Corporation capstone report, March 2013)
- Reforming Student Aid: How to Simplify Tax Aid and Use Performance Metrics to Improve College Choices and Completion (Center on Postsecondary and Economic Success, CLASP, February 2013)
- Pell Grants on Solid Ground for Now – Let’s Keep it That Way (Julie Strawn, Marcie Foster, CLASP.org, February 2013)
- Career Pathways: Take the Next Step Toward Quality and Scale (Vicki Choitz, Marcie W.M Foster, Patrick Reimherr, CLASP, February 2013)
- Home Economics: A Discussion about the Unregulated World of Domestic Work (The Aspen Institute’s Workforce Strategies Initiative)
Tools and Resources
- Training Opportunity: Online Learning Readiness at Boston Neighborhood Network: Free workforce readiness training program geared at helping unemployed and underemployed residents gain new skills to impress future employers. To schedule an assessment, applicants should email firstname.lastname@example.org with their complete mailing address and phone number.
- VIDEO: “In Search of the Skilled Worker: Finding, Training and Placing Workers in the Skilled Trades” First in a series of roundtables and webinars – Partnerships and Practice
- ETA “Mobilizes” Its Job Search Tools: The ETA’s most popular online tools will now be available as a mobile-optimized website.
- GED Test Series to Go All Digital (Workforc3 One Newsletter)
- Labor Market Information Resources include six new podcasts that help you identify and use workforce statistics. The ETA also issued all of the products that were funded by the ARRA’s State Labor Market Information Improvement Grants. Follow the link to view the catalogue of all participating state products, evaluations, practitioner briefs, a Webinar, and podcasts.
- The Census Bureau has released an Economic Indicator Mobile App, “America’s Economy“
- Innovative Technology Pilot Project: Mobile Apps (World Education’s National College Transition Network) The project goal is to develop and pilot two apps (for use on standard feature phones and smart phones) that accelerate learning of academic and health career related vocabulary and concepts for adults preparing to enter post-secondary education and technical training.
- Pathways out of Poverty Grant Program – Massachusetts Clean Energy Center: This grant program supports job training programs directed toward the clean energy industry that move training participants towards financial self-sufficiency.
- Stand Down Grants: These grants provide an estimated 10,000 homeless veterans with opportunities to reintegrate into society.
- March 21, 2013: Crittenton Women’s Union Release the Real Costs of Living in MA
- April 2, 2013: The release of “Signaling Success: Improving Teen Employment Prospects (Commonwealth Corporation)
- April 5, 2013: Massachusetts Coalition for Adult Education Network Conference (MCAE)
- April 9, 2013: Coaching for College and Career Workshop (The Boston Foundation)
- May 9, 2013: Commonwealth Workforce Coalition 10th Annual Conference