Happy Workforce Thursday!
Sorry about the delay, it’s been a busy but great couple weeks for us here at SkillWorks!
Here’s the roundup for the last two weeks — please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
- Last week marked the Annual Skills Summit in Washington, D.C. where we, along with local business, college, labor and workforce leaders from 25 different states were able to get together and learn about current federal policy debates and discuss the latest communication strategies in the world of skill and workforce development.
- One of the biggest topics of discussion and a really exciting development in the national fight against unemployment was the release of the Democrats new workforce bill. The Workforce Investment Act of 2013 will improve the nation’s workforce investment infrastructure, focusing on finding workers jobs and careers through strategic partnerships with in-demand sector employers, community colleges, labor organizations, and non-profits.
Be sure to stay tuned for updates regarding this bill!
Workforce in the News
- Tax-Based Aid Should be Redirected to Low-Income Students, Report Says (Chronicle of Higher Education, February 2013)
- The President’s Call for New Vocational Training (On Point with Tom Ashbrook, WBUR, February 14th)
Research and Reports
- Reforming Student Aid: How to Simplify Tax Aid and Use Performance Metrics to Improve College Choices and Completion (Center on Postsecondary and Economic Success, CLASP, February 2013)
- Pell Grants on Solid Ground for Now – Let’s Keep it That Way (Julie Strawn, Marcie Foster, CLASP.org, February 2013)
- Career Pathways: Take the Next Step Toward Quality and Scale (Vicki Choitz, Marcie W.M Foster, Patrick Reimherr, CLASP, February 2013)
- Home Economics: A Discussion about the Unregulated World of Domestic Work (The Aspen Institute’s Workforce Strategies Initiative)
- Shifting Gears Report (The Joyce Foundation, January 2013)
- State Sector Strategies Coming of Age: Implications for State Workforce Policymakers (National Skills Coalition, National Governor’s Association, Corporation for a Skilled Workforce, January 2013)
Tools and Resources
- VIDEO: “In Search of the Skilled Worker: Finding, Training and Placing Workers in the Skilled Trades” First in a series of roundtables and webinars – Partnerships and Practice
- ETA “Mobilizes” Its Job Search Tools: The ETA’s most popular online tools will now be available as a mobile-optimized website.
- GED Test Series to Go All Digital (Workforc3 One Newsletter)
- Labor Market Information Resources include six new podcasts that help you identify and use workforce statistics. The ETA also issued all of the products that were funded by the ARRA’s State Labor Market Information Improvement Grants. Follow the link to view the catalogue of all participating state products, evaluations, practitioner briefs, a Webinar, and podcasts.
- The Census Bureau has released an Economic Indicator Mobile App, “America’s Economy“
- Innovative Technology Pilot Project: Mobile Apps (World Education’s National College Transition Network) The project goal is to develop and pilot two apps (for use on standard feature phones and smart phones) that accelerate learning of academic and health career related vocabulary and concepts for adults preparing to enter post-secondary education and technical training.
- CAEL Alert: Working Learners and the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 (Council for Adult and Experiential Learning, January 2013)
- The Massachusett’s High-Demand Professions Scholarship – was created in alignment with the Vision Project goal of attaining national higher education leadership in the area of workforce development. The scholarship will provide grants of up to $6,500 per year for UMass students, up to $5,500 for state university students, and up to $4,000 per year for community college students beginning in spring 2013.
- Stand Down Grants: These grants provide an estimated 10,000 homeless veterans with opportunities to reintegrate into society.
- February 26, 2013: How to Move from Placement to Partnership with Employers (Insight Center for Community Economic Development)
- April 5, 2013: Massachusetts Coalition for Adult Education Network Conference (MCAE)
- April 9, 2013: Coaching for College and Career Workshop (The Boston Foundation)
- May 9, 2013: Commonwealth Workforce Coalition 10th Annual Conference