Happy Workforce Friday!
Here’s this week’s roundup — please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
** The 2013 Commonwealth Workforce Coalition is soliciting workshop presentation proposals for it’s 10th Annual Conference “Sharing Skills~Building Connections- Opening Doors to Opportunity: 10 Years and Counting!”
We are seeking workshop proposals that highlight best practices, innovative solutions, practical tools, and models for workforce training, employment, and education programs and partnerships that support low-income individuals and families on the path to economic success. Proposals must be received electronically by January 14th.
**NETWORK 2013 Call for Presenters!
Presented in collaboration with the System for Adult Basic Education Support (SABES), the NETWORK Conference is the signature professional development event for the Massachusetts Coalition for Adult Education (MCAE) and the largest ABE conference in New England and we are now soliciting presenter’s. Application must be submitted by January 25, 2013.
Click here to download the complete Call for Presenter’s as a PDF.
Click here to access the online presenter’s form.
Workforce in the News
- Welfare Ranking, Funding Cuts Cited in Push for “Pathways” Bill (Michael Norton, State House News Service, January 10, 2013)
- Secretary Solis: “We Have Achieved Extraordinary Things” (US Department of Labor, January 10, 2013)
Research and Reports
- State of Working Massachusetts 2012 (Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center, January 2013)
- Policy Snapshot Increasing College Readiness (New England Board of Higher Education, September 6, 2012)
Tools and Resources
- Mass Kicks off Aid-Programs for High Demand Fields (New England Board of Higher Education, January 2013)
- National Fund Monthly e-Newsletter (National Fund for Workforce Solutions, December 2012)
- Preparing for the New GED Test: What to Consider before 2014 (Working Poor Families Project, December 2012)
- 2013 Guide to New England Colleges and Universities ( New England Journal of Higher Education, November 2012)
- The Massachusett’s High-Demand Professions Scholarship – was created in alignment with the Vision Project goal of attaining national higher education leadership in the area of workforce development. The scholarship will provide grants of up to $6,500 per year for UMass students, up to $5,500 for state university students, and up to $4,000 per year for community college students beginning in spring 2013.
- Stand Down Grants: These grants provide an estimated 10,000 homeless veterans with opportunities to reintegrate into society.
- January 16, 2013: SkillWorks New Years Celebration (SkillWorks Partners for a Productive Workforce)
- January 22 , 2013: Healthcare Workforce Transformation Fund Listening Session (Commonwealth Corporation Foundation)
- January 28 , 2013: Healthcare Workforce Transformation Fund Listening Session (Commonwealth Corporation Foundation)
- April 5, 2013: Massachusetts Coalition for Adult Education Network Conference (MCAE)
- May 9, 2013: Commonwealth Workforce Coalition 10th Annual Conference