Happy New Year and Happy Workforce Thursday!
Here’s 2013’s First Roundup–please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
** The 2013 Commonwealth Workforce Coalition is soliciting workshop presentation proposals for it’s 10th Annual Conference “Sharing Skills~Building Connections- Opening Doors to Opportunity: 10 Years and Counting!”
We are seeking workshop proposals that highlight best practices, innovative solutions, practical tools, and models for workforce training, employment, and education programs and partnerships that support low-income individuals and families on the path to economic success. Proposals must be received electronically by January 14th.
Workforce in the News
- For Poor, Leap to College Often Ends in a Hard Fall (Jason DeParle, New York Times, December 23, 2012)
Research and Reports
- State of Working Massachusetts 2012 (Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center, January 2013)
Tools and Resources
- Mass Kicks off Aid-Programs for High Demand Fields (New England Board of Higher Education, January 2013)
- National Fund Monthly e-Newsletter (National Fund for Workforce Solutions, December 2012)
- Preparing for the New GED Test: What to Consider before 2014 (Working Poor Families Project, December 2012)
- 2013 Guide to New England Colleges and Universities ( New England Journal of Higher Education, November 2012)
- The Massachusett’s High-Demand Professions Scholarship – was created in alignment with the Vision Project goal of attaining national higher education leadership in the area of workforce development. The scholarship will provide grants of up to $6,500 per year for UMass students, up to $5,500 for state university students, and up to $4,000 per year for community college students beginning in spring 2013.
- Stand Down Grants: These grants provide an estimated 10,000 homeless veterans with opportunities to reintegrate into society.
- January 8, 2013: Coaching for College and Careers Workshop (Coaching for College Career Workshop Flyer 1-8-13, Skillworks and CWC)
- January 16, 2013: SkillWorks New Years Celebration (SkillWorks Partners for a Productive Workforce)
- April 5, 2013: Massachusetts Coalition for Adult Education Network Conference (MCAE)
- May 9, 2013: Commonwealth Workforce Coalition 10th Annual Conference