Happy Workforce Wednesday!
Here’s this week’s roundup–please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce in the News
- Nonprofit Analyzes its Bang for its Buck (Erin Ailworth, Boston Globe, November 28)
- Who Can Fix the Middle Skills Gap? (Harvard Business Review, December 2012)
- Employers, Officials Seek to Boost Manufacturing Sector (Associated Industries of MA, November 28)
- Skills Don’t Pay the Bills (Adam Davidson, The NY Times, November 20)
Research and Reports
- Bubble Wrap: Higher Education and the Value Gap (New England Board of Higher Education, November 20, 2012)
- Alternative staffing: Finding ways to combine job brokering and job training (Center for Social Policy UMass Boston, November 2012)
Tools and Resources
- Our State Budget: Building a Better Future Together: describes the ongoing fiscal crisis, recent budget cuts, our tax system, and the choices we will face moving forward (MassBudget)
- How to Build Bridge Programs That Fit into a Career Pathway (Instituto del Progreso Latino)
- Learning in Context: Preparing Latino Workers for Careers and Continuing Education (National Council of La Raza)
- Farther, Faster: Six Promising Programs Show How Career Pathways Bridges Help Basic Skills Students Earn Credentials That Matter (Center for Law and Social Policy)
- Developing Effective Bridge Programs (Adult Career Pathways Training and Support Center conference webcast [VIDEO])
- 2013 Guide to New England Colleges and Universities ( New England Journal of Higher Education, November 2012)
- The goal of the Employment Data Collection and Publication Strategies request for proposals is to incent and provide resources for a few leading employers and a few leading community colleges to conduct pilot programs for data collection and publication. This RFP is co-sponsored by the Boston Healthcare Careers Consortium and SkillWorks. Responses should be submitted by 5:00pm on November 30th.
- Pay for Success Pilot Projects: Grants awarded will fund pilots of a Pay for Success model which is an innovative funding strategy for achieving specific social service outcomes. Closing date is December 11, 2012.
- Stand Down Grants: These grants provide an estimated 10,000 homeless veterans with opportunities to reintegrate into society.
- November 29, 2012: Commonwealth Corporation Open House Celebration
- November 30, 2012: Workshop Series highlights Modeling Work Readiness, Career Planning, and Integrated Curriculum (CWC, New Bedford Trainings)
- December 4, 2012: Webinar: Creating a Conversation on Job Quality: Research, Advocacy and Communication Strategies for Workforce Development Leaders (AspenWSI)
- December 5, 2012: Workers’ Pathways Coalition Meeting (DTA Works, Crittenton Women’s Union)
- December 12, 2012: What Works Webinar: Industry-Specific Workforce Development Strategies (Initiative for a Competitive Inner City)
- December 17-18, 2012: Post Election Philanthropy: Votes, Values and Vision (Workforce Matters)