Happy Workforce Wednesday!
Here’s this week’s roundup–please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Last week we held our 3rd Annual MA Jobs and Workforce Summit in Sturbridge, MA. Thank you to everyone who came out and supported us and made this year so successful!
Below is a list of press releases about the Summit in case you missed it.
- Summit Focuses on Career Paths (Craig S. Semon, Worcester Telegram & Gazette, October 11, 2012)
- Workforce Summit Held in Sturbridge (ABC 40/ Fox 6 Springfield, October 11, 2012) *Video Footage included
- Jobs and Workforce Summit (State House News Service, October 5, 2012)
Workforce in the News
- Developing Story: A Forum on Improving Remedial Education (John O. Harney, The New England Journal of Higher Education, October 2, 2012)
- Colleges Can Improve Outcomes for Veterans and the Economy (Thomas M. McGovern, The New England Journal of Higher Education, October 15, 2012)
- Job Hunting Workshops available at Wayland Library (Wicked Local, Wayland Town Crier, October 13, 2012)
- BCG Research: US Skills Gap in Manufacturing isn’t as Bad as Feared (Chris Reidy, Boston Globe, October 15, 2012)
- Obama Administration announces $20 million for 10 public-private partnerships to support American manufacturing and encourage investment in the US (DOL Newsletter, October 9, 2012)
- One Day Can Change a Life: Workforce Development and STEM Education Critical to Energy Future (David Holt, The Huffington Post, October 15, 2012)
Research and Reports
- Progress Report: 2012 State Partners Policy Accomplishments: Education and Skills Training & Work and Family Supports (Working Poor Families Project, October 2012)
- Moving from Poverty to Prosperity: An Integrated Approach to Community Development (David Erickson and Nancy Andrews, Spotlight on Poverty and Opportunity, October 9, 2012)
- Disinvesting in the Skills of America’s Workforce: The Potential Impact of Sequestration on Key Federal Employment and Training Programs (National Skills Coalition, August 2012)
- The Alternative Staffing Work Experience: Populations, Barriers and Employment Outcomes (Helen Levine, Brandynn Holgate, Risa Takenaka, and Françoise Carré, October, 2012)
Tools and Resources
- Workforce3 One October Newsletter: Find resources for workforce system success
- Job Training Alliance: A searchable listing of job training programs in the City of Boston.
- Metro Boston SCILS (Skilled Careers in Life Sciences) Initiative. Recruitment sessions continue! See the SCILS site for a calendar of events and more information.
- Why Green Is Your Color: A Woman’s Guide to a Sustainable Career A comprehensive manual designed to assist women with job training and career development as they enter into innovative and nontraditional jobs.
- Career One Stop (A proud partner of the American Job Center Network)Tools to help jobseekers, students, businesses and career professionals.
- The Addressing the Middle Skills Gap Grant Program is designed to address the gap between the skills held by workers and the skills needed by employers for jobs that require more than a high school diploma but less than the equivalent of a 4-year degree. Required Letters of Intent are due by November 19, 2012. Please see the Request for Proposals for more information.
- The Paul and Phyllis Fireman Charitable Foundation Secure Jobs Fund is a one-year demonstration project that will support two regional partnerships to secure employment for at least 150 adults from HomeBASE households, to develop a replicable model, and to inform state and federal policy regarding homelessness and employment. RFP has been released and proposals are due October 31, 2012.
- @Scale STEM Pipeline initiative focused on workforce development and post-secondary credential attainment. RFP has been released, and proposals are due October 25, 2012.
- Pay for Success Pilot Projects: Grants awarded will fund pilots of a Pay for Success model which is an innovative funding strategy for achieving specific social service outcomes. Closing date is December 11, 2012.
- Stand Down Grants: These grants provide an estimated 10,000 homeless veterans with opportunities to reintegrate into society.
- October 18, 2012: New City Strategies Audio Conference (“Cities Promote Opportunity “Series)
- October 18, 2012: The Housing Market’s Foundation: A Discussion on the Workforce in Residential Construction (Aspen Institute, Washington D.C.)
- October 19, 2012: Workshop Series highlights Modeling Work Readiness, Career Planning, and Integrated Curriculum (CWC, New Bedford Trainings)
- October 22, 2012: Putting a Gender Lens on job Training: Women’s Inclusion in Green Jobs and Other Non-Traditional Occupations (Wider Opportunities for Women) *Registration Required!
- October 24, 2012: Skills Gap: Supply and Demand in the Massachusetts Economy (Commonwealth Corporation in partnership with Federal Reserve Bank of Boston’s New England Public Policy Center) *Website has list of different dates and locations throughout MA.
- October 24, 2012: Webinar on the Virginia Career Pathways System (Workforce Strategy Center)
- October 25, 2012: Leveraging Mature Talent,Strategies for Serving Older Workers (CAEL)
- November 1, 2012: The Next Wave of Performance Measurement (Root Cause/Social Innovation Forum)
- November 2, 2012: Advancing Greener Careers and Campuses – A Virtual Summit (The Greenforce Initiative)
- November 2, 2012: Workshop Series highlights Modeling Work Readiness, Career Planning, and Integrated Curriculum (CWC, New Bedford Trainings)
- November 7-9, 2012: National College Transition Network Fall Conference
- November 30, 2012: Workshop Series highlights Modeling Work Readiness, Career Planning, and Integrated Curriculum (CWC, New Bedford Trainings)