Happy Workforce Wednesday!
Sorry we’re a little late!
Here’s this week’s roundup–please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce Development In the News
- Boston Job Market Rewards Degrees, Punishes Dropouts (Boston Globe, October 01, 2012)
- Year Up Shuttles Urban Adults into Corporate America (Boston Globe, September 28, 2012)
- 30 Issues: Why You Should Care About… Funding Job Retraining (WGBH News, October 01, 2012)
- NE Janitors Union reaches Tentative Pact (Boston Globe, October o1, 2012)
Research and Reports
- Labor Market Trends in the Boston/Metro North Region Report (Commonwealth Corporation, October 2012)
- The Alternative Staffing Work Experience: Populations, Barriers and Employment Outcomes, (Center for Social Policy at the McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies, UMASS Boston, September 2012)
- Collective Impact for Opportunity Youth Report (FSG, Inc., October 2012)
- Time to Lead Report: The Need for Excellence In Higher Education (Department of Education first annual Vision Project Report, September 20th)
Tools and Resources
- Workforce3 One October Newsletter: Find resources for workforce system success
- Job Training Alliance: A searchable listing of job training programs in the City of Boston.
- Metro Boston SCILS (Skilled Careers in Life Sciences) Initiative. Recruitment sessions continue! See the SCILS site for a calendar of events and more information.
- Why Green Is Your Color: A Woman’s Guide to a Sustainable Career A comprehensive manual designed to assist women with job training and career development as they enter into innovative and nontraditional jobs.
- Career One Stop (A proud partner of the American Job Center Network)Tools to help jobseekers, students, businesses and career professionals.
- The Paul and Phyllis Fireman Charitable Foundation Secure Jobs Fund is a one-year demonstration project that will support two regional partnerships to secure employment for at least 150 adults from HomeBASE households, to develop a replicable model, and to inform state and federal policy regarding homelessness and employment. RFP has been released and proposals are due October 31, 2012.
- @Scale STEM Pipeline initiative focused on workforce development and post-secondary credential attainment. RFP has been released, and proposals are due October 25, 2012.
- Pay for Success Pilot Projects: Grants awarded will fund pilots of a Pay for Success model which is an innovative funding strategy for achieving specific social service outcomes. Closing date is December 11, 2012.
- Stand Down Grants: These grants provide an estimated 10,000 homeless veterans with opportunities to reintegrate into society.
- October 4, 2012: Building Stronger Employer Involvement Webinar (NNSP)
- October 9, 2012: New Bostonians Summit (Office of New Bostonians)
- October 10, 2012: 3rd Annual MA Jobs and Workforce Summit (Workforce Solutions Group/SkillWorks)
- October 12, 19, 26, 2012: Offender Employment Specialist Training (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition)
- October 18, 2012: New City Strategies Audio Conference (“Cities Promote Opportunity “Series)
- October 18, 2012: The Housing Market’s Foundation: A Discussion on the Workforce in Residential Construction (Aspen Institute, Washington D.C.)
- October 19, 2012: Workshop Series highlights Modeling Work Readiness, Career Planning, and Integrated Curriculum (CWC, New Bedford Trainings)
- October 22, 2012: Putting a Gender Lens on job Training: Women’s Inclusion in Green Jobs and Other Non-Traditional Occupations (Wider Opportunities for Women) *Registration Required!
- October 24, 2012: Webinar on the Virginia Career Pathways System (Workforce Strategy Center)
- October 25, 2012: Leveraging Mature Talent,Strategies for Serving Older Workers (CAEL)
- November 1, 2012: The Next Wave of Performance Measurement (Root Cause/Social Innovation Forum)
- November 2, 2012: Workshop Series highlights Modeling Work Readiness, Career Planning, and Integrated Curriculum (CWC, New Bedford Trainings)
- November 7-9, 2012: National College Transition Network Fall Conference
- November 30, 2012: Workshop Series highlights Modeling Work Readiness, Career Planning, and Integrated Curriculum (CWC, New Bedford Trainings)