Here’s last week’s roundup–for some reason this didn’t get published!
One highlight and reminder–Early registration for the 2012 Jobs and Workforce Summit closes THIS THURSDAY, October 4. Don’t forget to register–you don’t want to miss the opportunity to hear Secretaries Greg Bialecki, Joanne Goldstein, and Paul Reville discuss Massachusetts’ new strategies to elevate career pathways.
Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce Development In the News
- Regions Jobless Rate Slips to 8.9 percent (Sentinel and Enterprise, Sept. 25th)
- More Than Just Financial Aid: An Initiative to Make Community College Affordable for Low-income Americans (Exclusive Commentary, Spotlight on Poverty and Opportunity, Sept. 18th)
- Disconnected Youth (Commentaries on reconnecting our disconnected youth, Spotlight on Poverty and Opportunity, Sept. 25th)
- $500 Million to Boost Job Training Partnerships (Department of Labor News Brief, Sept. 20th)
- Report Touts Importance of Higher Education (State House News Service, Sept. 20th)
Research and Reports
- Update: One-Stop Center Reinvention Urgently Needed Report (Corporation for a Skilled Workforce, September 24th)
- Time to Lead Report: The Need for Excellence In Higher Education (Department of Education first annual Vision Project Report, September 20th)
- Benefits Access for College Completion (CLASP, Center for PostSecondary and Economic Success, Septemeber 2012)
- Graduating to College: Three States Helping Adult Education Students get a College Degree (The Working Poor Families Project, September 2012 )
Tools and Resources
- Job Training Alliance: A searchable listing of job training programs in the City of Boston.
- Metro Boston SCILS (Skilled Careers in Life Sciences) Initiative. Recruitment sessions continue! See the SCILS site for a calendar of events and more information.
- Why Green Is Your Color: A Woman’s Guide to a Sustainable Career A comprehensive manual designed to assist women with job training and career development as they enter into innovative and nontraditional jobs.
- Career One Stop (A proud partner of the American Job Center Network)Tools to help jobseekers, students, businesses and career professionals.
- The Paul and Phyllis Fireman Charitable Foundation Secure Jobs Fund is a one-year demonstration project that will support two regional partnerships to secure employment for at least 150 adults from HomeBASE households, to develop a replicable model, and to inform state and federal policy regarding homelessness and employment. RFP has been released and proposals are due October 31, 2012.
- @Scale STEM Pipeline initiative focused on workforce development and post-secondary credential attainment. RFP has been released, and proposals are due October 25, 2012.
- Pay for Success Pilot Projects: Grants awarded will fund pilots of a Pay for Success model which is an innovative funding strategy for achieving specific social service outcomes. Closing date is December 11, 2012.
- Stand Down Grants: These grants provide an estimated 10,000 homeless veterans with opportunities to reintegrate into society.
- October 4, 2012: Building Stronger Employer Involvement Webinar (NNSP)
- October 9, 2012: New Bostonians Summit (Office of New Bostonians)
- October 10, 2012: 3rd Annual MA Jobs and Workforce Summit (Workforce Solutions Group/SkillWorks)
- October 12, 19, 26, 2012: Offender Employment Specialist Training (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition)
- October 18, 2012: New City Strategies Audio Conference (“Cities Promote Opportunity “Series)
- November 1, 2012: The Next Wave of Performance Measurement (Root Cause/Social Innovation Forum)
- November 7-9, 2012: National College Transition Network Fall Conference