Happy Workforce Wednesday!
Here’s this week’s roundup–please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
- This week, the House of Representatives will vote on legislation to prevent HHS from issuing waivers to states to implement new strategies aimed at increasing employment among TANF recipients. Tell Congress to support HHS efforts to improve employment outcomes.Tell Congress to Support HHS Efforts to Improve TANF Recipient Employment Outcomes
Workforce Development In the News
- Will.i.am, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Jobs and Why We Can’t Wait for Washington to Address the Jobs Crisis (Ariana Huffington, Huffington Post, September 11th)
- State Council Honors AMSA Teacher (Marlborough News and Events, September 18th)
- New Rules (Thomas L. Friedman, The NY Times, September 8th)
Research and Reports
- Benefits Access for College Completion (CLASP, Center for PostSecondary and Economic Success, Septemeber 2012)
- Graduating to College: Three States Helping Adult Education Students get a College Degree (The Working Poor Families Project, September 2012 )
Tools and Resources
- Job Training Alliance: A searchable listing of job training programs in the City of Boston.
- Metro Boston SCILS (Skilled Careers in Life Sciences) Initiative. Recruitment sessions continue! See the SCILS site for a calendar of events and more information.
- Why Green Is Your Color: A Woman’s Guide to a Sustainable Career A comprehensive manual designed to assist women with job training and career development as they enter into innovative and nontraditional jobs.
- Career One Stop (A proud partner of the American Job Center Network)Tools to help jobseekers, students, businesses and career professionals.
Labor Market Information Tools and Resources
- mySkills myFuture enables job seekers and intermediaries to match a worker’s occupational skills and experiences with the skills needed in other occupations
- My Next Movegives individualsthree main ways to explore careers
- America’s Service Locator connects people to local offices providing employment and training services.
- Healthcare Virtual Career Network provides career exploration and training tools to help job seekers prepare for careers in healthcare.
- O*NET Onlineenhances businesses’ hiring and retention efforts and supports workers and students in career planning by accessing key data for identifying and developing workplace skills.
- Veterans and Workers Reemployment Portal ate Career One Stop is designed to assist veterans and recently laid off workers with resources for training, reemployment, and career planning.
- @Scale STEM Pipeline initiative focused on workforce development and post-secondary credential attainment. RFP has been released, and proposals are due October 25, 2012.
- Pay for Success Pilot Projects: Grants awarded will fund pilots of a Pay for Success model which is an innovative funding strategy for achieving specific social service outcomes. Closing date is December 11, 2012.
- Stand Down Grants: These grants provide an estimated 10,000 homeless veterans with opportunities to reintegrate into society.
- September 25th, 2012: September’s Audio Update: Role of State Sector Strategies- Lessons Learned and Future Inplications for State Policymakers
- September 25th, 2012: Special Event with Governor Patrick, Secretaries Reville, Bialecki and Goldstein, Commissioner Freeland and Community College Presidents
- October 1, 2012: Boston/Metro-North Labor Market Information Report Release (CommCorp)
- October 2, 2012: Boston Job Training Alliance Celebration
- October 2, 2012: NCTN Fall Webinar Series #1: ESOL Transitions Framework (NCTN)
- October 9, 2012: New Bostonians Summit (Office of New Bostonians)
- October 10, 2012: 3rd Annual MA Jobs and Workforce Summit (Workforce Solutions Group/SkillWorks)
- October 12, 19, 26, 2012: Offender Employment Specialist Training (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition)
- November 1, 2012: The Next Wave of Performance Measurement (Root Cause/Social Innovation Forum)
- November 7-9, 2012: National College Transition Network Fall Conference