Happy Workforce Wednesday!
Here’s this week’s roundup–please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce Development In the News
- To Fix Skills Gap, Think Local (Fred Dedrick, Huffington Post Business Blog, August 30th)
- Massasoit Community College prepares students for careers (South Coast Today, September 6th)
- Hiring Slows in U.S., Putting Pressure on Obama and Fed (NY Times, September 7th)
- Share of Men in Labor Force at All-Time Low ( NY Times, September 7th)
- Not Looking, but Still Wanting Work (NY Times, September 7th)
Research and Reports
- Benefits Access for College Completion (CLASP, Center for PostSecondary and Economic Success, Septemeber 2012)
- Graduating to College: Three States Helping Adult Education Students get a College Degree (The Working Poor Families Project, September 2012 )
Tools and Resources
- Job Training Alliance: A searchable listing of job training programs in the City of Boston.
- Metro Boston SCILS (Skilled Careers in Life Sciences) Initiative. Recruitment sessions continue! See the SCILS site for a calendar of events and more information.
- Why Green Is Your Color: A Woman’s Guide to a Sustainable Career A comprehensive manual designed to assist women with job training and career development as they enter into innovative and nontraditional jobs.
- Career One Stop (A proud partner of the American Job Center Network)Tools to help jobseekers, students, businesses and career professionals.
- @Scale STEM Pipeline initiative focused on workforce development and post-secondary credential attainment. RFP has been released, and proposals are due October 25, 2012.
- Pay for Success Pilot Projects: Grants awarded will fund pilots of a Pay for Success model which is an innovative funding strategy for achieving specific social service outcomes. Closing date is December 11, 2012.
- Stand Down Grants: These grants provide an estimated 10,000 homeless veterans with opportunities to reintegrate into society.
- September 18, 2012: Real-time LMI Tools Workshop (SkillWorks/CWC) Registration is now closed; there is a wait-list for this event.
- September 19, 2012: Inner City Economic Summit (ICIC; SkillWorks will be presenting)
- September 25th, 2012: September’s Audio Update: Role of State Sector Strategies- Lessons Learned and Future Inplications for State Policymakers
- October 1, 2012: Boston/Metro-North Labor Market Information Report Release (CommCorp)
- October 2, 2012: Boston Job Training Alliance Celebration
- October 2, 2012: NCTN Fall Webinar Series #1: ESOL Transitions Framework (NCTN)
- October 9, 2012: New Bostonians Summit (Office of New Bostonians)
- October 10, 2012: 3rd Annual MA Jobs and Workforce Summit (Workforce Solutions Group/SkillWorks)
- October 12, 19, 26, 2012: Offender Employment Specialist Training (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition)
- November 1, 2012: The Next Wave of Performance Measurement (Root Cause/Social Innovation Forum)
- November 7-9, 2012: National College Transition Network Fall Conference