Happy Workforce Wednesday!
Here’s this week’s roundup–please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce Development In the News
- US Worker Skills Gap is Real but Reversible (Business News Daily, September 5, 2012)
- Bill Clinton’s DNC Speech references skills gap and worker training (text of prepared remarks in Washington Post, September 5, 2012)
- Henry Ford: When Capitalists Cared (NY Times, September 3, 2012)
- Labor Day 2012: Where the Jobs Are (ABC News, September 3, 2012)
Research and Reports
- A simple method to improve college graduation rates (Stanford Social Innovation Review, September 4, 2012)
- Impact Profile of Aaron Dale: Disconnected Youth Get Second Chance to “X-Cel” in College (Jobs for the Future, September 2012)
- The Low-wage Recovery and Growing Inequality (National Employment Law Project, August 2012)
- Wages and Inequality in Massachusetts (Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center, August 2012)
- Innovations in Labor Market Information and Their use (Jobs for the Future, August 2012)
- Where to Begin? The Evolving Role of Placement Exams for Students Starting College (Jobs for the Future, August 2012)
Tools and Resources
- Job Training Alliance: A searchable listing of job training programs in the City of Boston.
- Metro Boston SCILS (Skilled Careers in Life Sciences) Initiative. Recruitment sessions continue! See the SCILS site for a calendar of events and more information.
- @Scale STEM Pipeline initiative focused on workforce development and post-secondary credential attainment. RFP has been released, and proposals are due October 25, 2012.
- September 18, 2012: Real-time LMI Tools Workshop (SkillWorks/CWC)
- September 19, 2012: Inner City Economic Summit (ICIC; SkillWorks will be presenting)
- October 1, 2012: Boston/Metro-North Labor Market Information Report Release (CommCorp)
- October 2, 2012: Boston Job Training Alliance Celebration
- October 2, 2012: NCTN Fall Webinar Series #1: ESOL Transitions Framework (NCTN)
- October 9, 2012: New Bostonians Summit (Office of New Bostonians)
- October 10, 2012: 2012 Jobs and Workforce Summit (Workforce Solutions Group/SkillWorks)
- October 12, 19, 26, 2012: Offender Employment Specialist Training (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition)
- November 1, 2012: The Next Wave of Performance Measurement (Root Cause/Social Innovation Forum)
- November 7-9, 2012: National College Transition Network Fall Conference