Hope everyone had a happy Fourth! Here’s this week’s roundup–please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce Development In the News
- Governor Patrick signs $32.5b state budget bill (Boston Globe, July 8, 2012)
- Filling the Skills Gap (NY Times, July 2, 2012)
- Agency Confronts Hurdles in Helping Veterans Match Military Skills to Civilian Jobs (NY Times, July 2, 2012)
- US Labor Department announces more than $20 million in grants to provide job training for more than 11,000 homeless veterans (July 2, 2012)
- New Adult Education Reporting Requirements: Better for Programs and Students (CLASP, July 2, 2012)
- Nonprofit CareerVillage puts student questions in front of professionals (Boston Business Journal, Jun 29-Jul 5, 2012)
- Work Inc. incorporates entrepreneurial flair to mission (Boston Business Journal, Jun 29-Jul 5, 2012)
Research and Reports
- Sinking or Swimming: Findings from a Survey of State Adult Education Tuition and Financing Policies (CLASP, June 2012)
Tools and Resources
- Skills for America’ Future launches new website, tools (Aspen Institute Workforce Strategies Initiative)
- Metro Boston SCILS (Skilled Careers in Life Sciences) Initiative. Recruitment sessions continue this week and next! See the SCILS site for a calendar of events and more information.
- Veterans Retraining Assistance Program: Offers up to 12 months of training for unemployed veterans (program launches July 1) *New Webinar Posted*
- Training and Employment Services for Refugee Adults – City of Boston Office of Jobs and Community Services (letters of intent due June 29; proposals due July 17, 2012)
- July 16: New JVS Bridges to College classes start. Get more info and register now!
- July 17, 2012: Post-Secondary Education Training for Coaches, Trainers and Managers (MIDAS Collaborative) LAST CHANCE TO REGISTER THIS WEEK!
- July 17, 2012: Board of Certification of Community Health Workers Holds its First Meeting
- July 19, 2012: Managing Staff Transition for your Workforce Development Program (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition, SkillWorks, Boston PIC, Office of Jobs and Community Services, United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley)
- July 25, 2012: Taking Inventory of Retail Jobs: A Discussion on Work in the Retail Industry (Aspen Institute, event in Washington, DC)
- July 31, 2012: Re-entering Through Employment: A Comprehensive Approach to Reintegrating the Formerly Incarcerated (USDOL)