Here’s a short week’s roundup to get us back on schedule! Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce Development In the News
- Mayor Menino, David Ortiz launch summer jobs program (Boston Globe, June 26, 2012)
- State focus is on skills needed for today’s jobs (Boston Globe, June 26, 2012)
As College Affordability Wanes, Will Congress Cut Pell Grant Aid? (CLASP, June 25, 2012)
- RExO Grants: Reduce Recidivism and Build Lives (Sec. Hilda Solis in Huffington Post, June 25, 2012)
Research and Reports
- Labor Market Trends in Massachusetts Regions: Metro South/West (A joint project of Commonwealth Corporation and the New England Public Policy Center of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, June 26, 2012)
- Competency-based Degree Programs in the United States: Postsecondary Credentials for Measurable Student Learning and Performance (CAEL, June 2012)
Tools and Resources
- 2013 Conference Budget–First Look (Mass. Budget and Policy Center)
- Pre-vocational ESOL Resources are posted on this great Wiki by English for New Bostonians
- Commonwealth Workforce Coalition is hiring a new manager. Check out their Job Board for more information!
- Next Step Living is hiring. Check the careers page!
- Clean Edison is offering incumbent worker training. Get more information on how to access this training from Green Boston.
- Metro Boston SCILS (Skilled Careers in Life Sciences) Initiative. Recruitment sessions continue this week and next! See the SCILS site for a calendar of events and more information.
- Veterans Retraining Assistance Program: Offers up to 12 months of training for unemployed veterans (program launches July 1) *New Webinar Posted*
- Advanced Manufacturing Jobs and Innovation Accelerator Challenge – U.S. Department of Commerce’s Economic Development Administration and 5 other agencies (due July 9, 2012)
- Training and Employment Services for Refugee Adults – City of Boston Office of Jobs and Community Services (letters of intent due June 29; proposals due July 17, 2012)
- July 16: New JVS Bridges to College classes start. Get more info and register now!
- July 17, 2012: Post-Secondary Education Training for Coaches, Trainers and Managers (MIDAS Collaborative)
- July 17, 2012: Board of Certification of Community Health Workers Holds its First Meeting
- July 19, 2012: Managing Staff Transition for your Workforce Development Program (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition, SkillWorks, Boston PIC, Office of Jobs and Community Services, United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley)’
- July 31, 2012: Re-entering Through Employment: A Comprehensive Approach to Reintegrating the Formerly Incarcerated (USDOL)