Here’s a short week’s roundup to get us back on schedule! Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
- It’s not too late (but it will be soon!)–call your state Senator and Rep about important workforce budget line items. Read our blog post/action alert.
- Sign-on to a letter to stop across the board cuts to 84 non-defense discretionary (NDD) programs that are scheduled to go into effect in January, and urge Congress to pass “balanced approach to deficit reduction that does not include further cuts to NDD programs.”
Workforce Development In the News
- More Stringent Requirements Send Nurses Back to School (NY Times, June 23, 2012)
US Department of Labor awards nearly $50 million to provide training and employment services to formerly incarcerated juveniles and young adults (US DOL News Release, June 21, 2012)–Congrats to the City of Boston, which was awarded one of these grants!
- Don’t give up on green jobs and careers! (Council on Foundations blogpost by Tricia Maguire, SkillWorks Program Officer, June 19, 2012)
- Worker Training Key to Local Economy (OpEd by Fred Dedrick and John Prout in Cincinnati.com, June 18, 2012)
Research and Reports
- Certificates: Gateway to Gainful Employment and College Degrees (Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, June 2012) (see related NY Times blogpost)
Tools and Resources
- Best Practice: Integrating Core College and Career Readiness Skills (JVS Boston and National College Transition Network)
- Two $2,500 Scholarships available for MA students pursuing health/allied health careers.
- Summer Jobs 2012. An online job bank and resource site @U.S. DOL for youth and employers about summer jobs.
- Metro Boston SCILS (Skilled Careers in Life Sciences) Initiative. Recruitment sessions continue this week and next! See the SCILS site for a calendar of events and more information.
- Veterans Retraining Assistance Program: Offers up to 12 months of training for unemployed veterans (program launches July 1) *New Webinar Posted*
- Advanced Manufacturing Jobs and Innovation Accelerator Challenge – U.S. Department of Commerce’s Economic Development Administration and 5 other agencies (due July 9, 2012)
- Training and Employment Services for Refugee Adults – City of Boston Office of Jobs and Community Services (letters of intent due June 29; proposals due July 17, 2012)
- June 26, 2012: Skills Gap: Supply and Demand in the Metro South/West Economy (Commonwealth Corporation)
- June 26, 2012: Webinar: At the Intersection of Policy and Practice in Construction Workforce Development (Aspen Institute Workforce Strategies Initiative)
- July 16: New JVS Bridges to College classes start. Get more info and register now!
- July 17, 2012: Post-Secondary Education Training for Coaches, Trainers and Managers (MIDAS Collaborative)
- July 19, 2012: Managing Staff Transition for your Workforce Development Program (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition, SkillWorks, Boston PIC, Office of Jobs and Community Services, United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley)