Here’s this week’s roundup! We’re a little late this week, having spent the past three days in Cincinnati at the National Fund for Workforce Solutions’ annual meeting (more on that later), but we are back just in time for the first day of summer! Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
- It’s not too late (but it will be soon!)–call your state Senator and Rep about important workforce budget line items. Read our blog post/action alert.
- Sign on to a letter to stop across the board cuts to 84 non-defense discretionary (NDD) programs that are scheduled to go into effect in January, and urge Congress to pass “balanced approach to deficit reduction that does not include further cuts to NDD programs.”
Workforce Development In the News
- Massachusetts Joins Career Pathways Network to Help Ready State’s Workforce for Success in 21st Century Economy (Executive Office of Education, June 19, 2012)
- Embattled RCC President Agrees to Step Down (Boston Globe, June 18, 2012)
- Educating New England’s Workforce for the Future (Communities & Banking, Boston Federal Reserve Bank, Summer 2012)
- Mass. Unemployment Drops to 6%; April jobs figures revised (Boston Business Journal, June 14, 2012)
- More than 7 in 10 US Teens Jobless in Summer (Boston Globe, June 13, 2012)
- Study Says Hiring Vets is Good Business (Boston Business Journal, June 12, 2012)
- Kayem Cooks Up Tasty Future by Training Workforce (AIM Business Insider Blog, June 12, 2012)
- Massachusetts: Tighter Controls for Proprietary Career Schools (HR.BLR.com, June 11, 2012)
- New US Program Helps Older Veterans Retrain, Find Jobs (Boston Globe, June 10, 2012)
- House Advances Workforce Reauthorization Bill (CLASP, June 2012)
Research and Reports
- New Approaches for Supporting the Mature Worker: The Experiences of the U.S. DOL’s Aging Workforce Initiative Grantees (CAEL, June 2012)
- Left Out. Forgotten? Recent High School Graduates and the Great Recession (Heldrich Center for Workforce Development, Rutgers University, June 2012)
Tools and Resources
- Best Practice: Integrating Core College and Career Readiness Skills (JVS Boston and National College Transition Network)
- Two $2,500 Scholarships available for MA students pursuing health/allied health careers.
- Summer Jobs 2012. An online job bank and resource site @U.S. DOL for youth and employers about summer jobs.
- Metro Boston SCILS (Skilled Careers in Life Sciences) Initiative. Recruitment sessions continue this week and next! See the SCILS site for a calendar of events and more information.
- Veterans Retraining Assistance Program: Offers up to 12 months of training for unemployed veterans (program launches July 1) *New Webinar Posted*
- Advanced Manufacturing Jobs and Innovation Accelerator Challenge – U.S. Department of Commerce’s Economic Development Administration and 5 other agencies (due July 9, 2012)
- Training and Employment Services for Refugee Adults – City of Boston Office of Jobs and Community Services (letters of intent due June 29; proposals due July 17, 2012)
- June 21, 2012: SCILS Info Session-The Career Place, Woburn
- June 21, 2012: CWC Boston Networking Event
- June 26, 2012: Skills Gap: Supply and Demand in the Metro South/West Economy (Commonwealth Corporation)
- June 26, 2012: Webinar: At the Intersection of Policy and Practice in Construction Workforce Development (Aspen Institute Workforce Strategies Initiative)
- July 17, 2012: Post-Secondary Education Training for Coaches, Trainers and Managers (MIDAS Collaborative)