Thanks to everyone who made calls to ensure important programs and funding for workforce training, youth jobs and adult basic education made it into the FY2013 budget. We now need your support THIS WEEK to make sure our requests are known and supported by the six members of the conference committee, who are:
- Reps. Brian Dempsey (D-Haverhill), Stephen Kulik (D-Worthington) and Viriato DeMacedo (R-Plymouth)
- Sens. Stephen Brewer (D-Barre), Jennifer Flanagan (D-Leominster) and Michael Knapik (R-Westfield).
The conference committee has less than 3 weeks to agree on a final budget and settle policy and spending differences between the House and Senate budget bills (S 2275 and H 4101). The new fiscal year begins on July 1.
Please contact your representative and Senator THIS WEEK and ask them to speak with conference committee members about the following workforce priorities:
- Community College Workforce Development Fund (House Section 88): We strongly support the language establishing this Fund and its operations. Revenues would come from future gaming license fees so we recommend that this language be adopted for the proposed Rapid Response Workforce Development grants in Senate line item 7066-0050, appropriated at $3 million.
- Youthworks Jobs 7002-0012: Please accept the House appropriation of $8.6 million.
- School to Career Connecting Activities 7027-0019: Please accept the Senate appropriation of $3.2 million.
- One Stop Career Centers 7003-0803: Please accept the House appropriation of $4.75 million with $8 million designated for Employment Services for TANF recipients.
- High Vacancy Scholarships 7070-0066: Please support this $5 million for new scholarships in high demand industries.
Please also thank your Senator and Representative for their support, especially if they helped file and co-sponsor amendments to preserve critical funding for workforce training and adult education.
Thanks for your continued support.