Here’s this week’s roundup! Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce Development In the News
- Older Workers Targeted by Mass. Legislature (Boston Globe, May 29, 2012)
- Career pathways for green jobs (Boston Business Journal OpEd, May 25-31, 2012)
- State’s Workforce Growth is MIA (Boston Business Journal Editorial, May 25-31, 2012)
- Maintaining jobs in a changing economy (Boston Busines Journal OpEd, May 25-31, 2012)
- Governor Patrick Signs An Act Relative to Oversight of Private Occupational Schools (CWU Voices Project Blog, May 30, 2012)
Research and Reports
- Training Futures: A case study of a nonprofit-community college partnership. (Aspen Institute Workforce Strategies Initiative, May 2012)
- Impact Analysis: The effect of CareerEdge in workers’ lives and for the Gulf Coast regional economy, 2011-12 (CareerEdge Funders Collaborative, May 2012)
- Tapping Mature Talent: Policies for a 21st Century Workforce (CAEL, May 2012)
Tools and Resources
- Summer Jobs 2012. An online job bank and resource site @U.S. DOL for youth and employers about summer jobs.
- Job Clubs. A resource bank sponsored by U.S. DOL’s Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships on running a job club, connecting to the public workforce system, etc.
- Metro Boston SCILS (Skilled Careers in Life Sciences) Initiative. Recruitment sessions continue this week and next! See the SCILS site for a calendar of events and more information.
- Senate Budget and Next Steps. Blog post on this site with updates on workforce items in FY13 Senate Budget.
- Senate Budget Monitor. Mass Budget and Policy Center’s tool on the FY13 Senate Budget.
- National College Transition Network seeks presenters for its fall conference in RI. Application deadline is June 11.
- Veterans Retraining Assistance Program: Offers up to 12 months of training for unemployed veterans (program launches July 1)
- Veterans Workforce Investment Program – U.S. DOL (due June 15, 2012)
- Learn at Work Planning Grant RFP – MA Commonwealth Corporation (due June 15–extended deadline!)
- Advanced Manufacturing Jobs and Innovation Accelerator Challenge – U.S. Department of Commerce’s Economic Development Administration and 5 other agencies (due July 9, 2012)
- June 4-5, 2012: Get your business online. (Massachusetts Workforce Board Association and Google partner to help small businesses increase their online presence. Registration required.)
- June 7, 2012: 55 and Better: Helping Mature Workers Get Good Jobs through an Industry Sector-Focused Approach (Insight CED/National Network of Sector Partners)
- June 20, 2012: CORI Info Session–Learn about changes in laws that govern CORI use in MA (Boston Workers Alliance)
- June 26, 2012: Skills Gap: Supply and Demand in the Metro South/West Economy (Commonwealth Corporation)
- June 2012: American Job Fair Month–See resources here! (U.S. DOL)