Hope everyone had a nice Memorial Day! Here’s this week’s roundup! Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce Development In the News
- Summer Jobs are a Lifeline in Boston (Boston Business Journal, May 18-24, 2012)
- Help Community Colleges Help Adult Students (The Chronicle of Higher Education, May 20, 2012)
- Jobs Vary by State, Showing Why Education Matters (Bloomberg News, May 21, 2012)
- MA House ordered the “Jobs Bill” (H. 4110/H. 4093) to third reading. (May 21, 2012, Read the bill text, history and amendments)
- Study suggests online courses as good as classroom (Boston Globe, May 22, 2012)
- Aligning Curriculum with Employer Needs: The Texas State Technical College Story (Workforce Strategy Center Blog, May 22, 2012)
- US Labor Department announces $20.5 million in grants to support, help ensure success of formerly incarcerated adults returning to work in their communities (US DOL press release, May 23, 2012)
Research and Reports
- Making Performance Funding Work for All (Working Poor Families Project, Spring 2012)
- Thrive! Helping Older San Diegans Get Good Jobs through an Industry-Sector Based Approach (Insight CED, March 2012)
Tools and Resources
- New American Integration Initiative Americorps Position: Help strengthen the work of community based organizations that serve refugees and immigrants. Priority application deadline May 29, 2012.
- Metro Boston SCILS (Skilled Careers in Life Sciences) Initiative. Recruitment sessions are coming up this week and next! See www.scilsinitiative.org for a calendar of events and more information.
- National College Transition Network seeks presenters for its fall conference in RI. Application deadline is June 11.
- Veterans Retraining Assistance Program: Offers up to 12 months of training for unemployed veterans (program launches July 1)
- Veterans Workforce Investment Program – U.S. DOL (due June 15, 2012)
- Learn at Work Planning Grant RFP – MA Commonwealth Corporation (due June 15–extended deadline!)
- May 30, 2012: Boston City Council Hearing on For-Profit Schools (Crittenton Women’s Union)
- June 7, 2012: 55 and Better: Helping Mature Workers Get Good Jobs through an Industry Sector-Focused Approach (Insight CED/National Network of Sector Partners)
- June 26, 2012: Skills Gap: Supply and Demand in the Metro South/West Economy (Commonwealth Corporation)
- June 2012: American Job Fair Month–See resources here! (U.S. DOL)