Here’s this week’s roundup! Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Workforce Development In the News
- Spotlight Webcast with Michael Gerson (Washington Post Op-Ed columnist) on the federal budget deficit and discretionary spending
- Senate FY13 budget update (Skills2Compete MA Blog, May 20, 2012)
- Massachusetts’ jobs numbers good, but labor pool is stagnant (Boston Business Journal, May 18, 2012)
- Agencies focus on helping unemployed (Worcester Telegram-Gazette, May 15, 2012)
- House Jobs Bill Details (Skills2Compete MA Blog, May 15, 2012)
- Mass. House Leaders Tie Jobs Bill To Innovation Economy (90.9 WBUR, May 14, 2012)
Tools and Resources
- Sector Skills Academy: Apply now for a unique leadership development and training opportunity for leaders of workforce partnerships and sectoral strategies. Deadline is May 25.
- New American Integration Initiative Americorps Position: Help strengthen the work of community based organizations that serve refugees and immigrants. Priority application deadline May 29, 2012.
- Metro Boston SCILS (Skilled Careers in Life Sciences) Initiative website launches.
- National College Transition Network seeks presenters for its fall conference in RI. Application deadline is June 11.
- Veterans Retraining Assistance Program: Offers up to 12 months of training for unemployed veterans (program launches July 1)
- Veterans Workforce Investment Program – U.S. DOL (due June 15, 2012)
- Learn at Work Planning Grant RFP – MA Commonwealth Corporation (due June 15–extended deadline!)
- May 24, 2012: Connecting to Jobs: Local Strategies and Policy Approaches to Employ Black Men (CLASP)
- May 24-25, 2012: National Association for Workforce Improvement Conference (New England Board of Higher Education; register by May 18)
- May 30, 2012: Boston City Council Hearing on For-Profit Schools (Crittenton Women’s Union)
- June 26, 2012: Skills Gap: Supply and Demand in the Metro South/West Economy (Commonwealth Corporation)
- June 2012: American Job Fair Month–See resources here! (U.S. DOL)