Here’s the roundup from the last two weeks! Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Action Alerts–FY2013 Budget
- Thanks to everyone who made calls on behalf of workforce amendments to the House budget. The final House budget was released last week, and it included many of our priorities. Read more in last week’s FY2013 House Budget post:
- Now it’s on to the Senate. Stay tuned for more information. One of our major priorities in the Senate budget will be the Workforce Competitiveness Trust Fund, which did not make it into the House budget.
Workforce Development In the News
- Certificate programs increasing in popularity: For those short on time and funds, certificate programs offer an alternative way to train for better paying careers (Boston Globe, May 6, 2012)
- Commentary: A Faster Way to Solve the Jobs Dilemma (Workforce Strategy Center Blog, May 2, 2012)
- Commentary: When a Job Isn’t Enough: A Safety Net for the Working Poor (Spotlight on Poverty and Opportunity, April 30, 2012)
Research and Reports
- Courses to Employment: Partnering to Create Paths to Education and Careers (Aspen Institute Workforce Strategies Initiative, May 2012)
- Better Care, Better Careers: The Jobs to Careers Strategy for Growing a Skilled Health Care Workforce (Jobs for the Future, April 2012)
- Reclaiming the American Dream: Community Colleges and the Nation’s Future (A Report From the
21st-Century Commission on the Future of Community Colleges, April 2012)
- The Credential Differential: The Public Return to Increasing Postsecondary Credential Attainment (CLASP, April 2012)
Tools and Resources
- CORI Reform: New laws went into effect on May 4. Read more about the new requirements and access CORI resources.
- Better Care Through Better Jobs: Improving Training And Employment For Direct-Care Workers (Aspen Institute Workforce Strategies Initiative, Webcast, May 3, 2012)
- House Moves Forward with Workforce Reauthorization Bills; New CLASP Analyses (Center for Law and Social Policy, May 1, 2012)
- CareerSTAT: A Guide to Making the Case for Investing in the Frontline Hospital Workforce (National Fund for Workforce Solutions, April 2012)
- Career Pathways Technical Assistance Resources (U.S. DOL, April 2012)
- Online Work Readiness Tool Assessment for TANF Participants (U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, April 2012)
- Nursing Education Redesign Grant Program – MA Department of Higher Education (due May 11, 2012)
- Susan Harwood Training Grant Program – U.S. Department of Labor OSHA (due May 17, 2012)
- Learn at Work Planning Grant RFP – MA Commonwealth Corporation (due June 1)
- May 9, 2012: The ABC’s of College Navigation: Supporting Attainment of Degrees and Credentials (National Network of Sector Partners)
- May 9 and 23: Clinics for Low-Income Boston Residents on CORI reforms and records sealing (Greater Boston Legal Services)
- May 14, 2012: Sharing Skills-Building Connections Conference (sponsored by Commonwealth Workforce Coalition) Registration ends soon!
- May 15, 2012: The Long View: Strategies for Supporting the Retention and Advancement of Construction Workers and Apprentices (Aspen Institute)
- May 24, 2012: Connecting to Jobs: Local Strategies and Policy Approaches to Employ Black Men (CLASP)
- June 2012: American Job Fair Month–See resources here! (U.S. DOL)