Here’s this week’s roundup! Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Action Alerts–FY2013 Budget
- Calls are needed to support Amendment 826 (filed by Rep. Garballey) to recapitalize the Workforce Competitiveness Trust Fund at $10 million.
- Calls are also needed for the following set of amendments related to workforce training:
- Amendments 325 would level fund One Stop Career Centers (7003-0803)
- Amendments 404 would restore and increase YouthWorks Youth Jobs Program (7002-0012)
- Amendments 447 to restore and increase School-to-Career Connecting Activities (7027-0019)
- Amendments 23 to restore the Shannon Anti Violence grant program (8100-0111)
- Amendment 856 to restore the Education Rewards Grant Program (7002-1084)
- Amendment 499 to maintain funding levels for Adult Basic Education.
Workforce Development In the News
- Recycling Industry Poised for Hiring Workers Already in Short Supply, study reports (Boston Globe, April 21, 2012)
- All is not fair in Boston hotels (Boston Globe, April 21, 2012)
- As Workers Age, Oil Industry Braces for Skills Gap (WBUR and NPR, April 20, 2012)
- US Department of Labor announces opportunity for states to develop innovative demonstrations of re-employment strategies (US DOL press release, April 19, 2012)
- Are Massachusetts Schools Preparing Students for the Workplace? (AIM Business Insider, April 19, 2012)
- Navigator helps plot college path (Boston Herald, April 16, 2012)
Research and Reports
- A Solid Foundation: Key Capacities of Construction Pre-Apprenticeship Programs (Aspen Institute, April 2012)
- House Ways and Means Budget Monitor (Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center)
Tools and Resources
- Homeless Veterans’ Reintegration Program – U.S. Department of Labor (due April 28, 2012)
- U.S. Department of Labor: Serving Female Ex-Offenders through employment/training (due May 4, 2012)
- Nursing Education Redesign Grant Program – MA Department of Higher Education (due May 11, 2012)
- Susan Harwood Training Grant Program – U.S. Department of Labor OSHA (due May 17, 2012)
- Learn at Work Planning Grant RFP – MA Commonwealth Corporation (due June 1)
- April 26, 2012: Webinar: The Credential Differential: The Public Return to Increasing Postsecondary Credential Attainment (CLASP)
- April 26, 2012: Audio Update: State Legislators’ Roundtable (National Skills Coalition)
- May 1, 2012: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle: Emerging Practices to Achieve Economic Mobility (sponsored by Crittenton Women’s Union)
- May 3, 2012: Tapping Mature Talent: Policies for a 21st Century Workforce (sponsored by Council on Adult and Experiential Learning)
- May 3, 2012: Better Care through Better Jobs: Improving Training and Employment for Direct Care Workers (Aspen Institute)
- May 14, 2012: Sharing Skills-Building Connections Conference (sponsored by Commonwealth Workforce Coalition) Registration ends soon!