Here’s this week’s roundup! Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
Action Alerts–FY2013 Budget
- Calls are needed to support Amendment 826 (filed by Rep. Garballey) to recapitalize the Workforce Competitiveness Trust Fund at $10 million.
- Calls are also needed for the following set of amendments related to workforce training. More detail on these amendments will be forthcoming in a blog post within the next day:
- Amendments 325, 627 and 807 would level fund One Stop Career Centers (7003-0803)
- Amendments 404, 339 and 866 would restore and increase YouthWorks Youth Jobs Program (7002-0012)
- Amendments 447 and 366 to restore and increase School-to-Career Connecting Activities (7027-0019)
- Amendments 23 and 775 to restore the Shannon Anti Violence grant program (8100-0111)
- Amendment 856 to restore the Education Rewards Grant Program (7002-1084)
- Calls needed to support Amendments 499 and 234 to maintain funding levels for Adult Basic Education. Read the MCAE action alert for more details.
Workforce Development In the News
- Navigator helps plot college path (Boston Herald, April 16, 2012)
- State seeks input on manufacturing challenges (AIM Business Insider Blog, April 13, 2012)
- Getting Americans Back to Work (OpEd by Representative John F. Tierney, Boston Globe, April 10, 2012)
- A Rockier Pathway to Work (NY Times editorial, April 9, 2012)
Research and Reports
- House Ways and Means Budget Monitor (Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center)
Tools and Resources
- Fact Sheet: Criteria for evaluating proposals to restructure federal workforce programs (CLASP, April 2012)
- Healthcare Virtual Career Network–Online portal for careers in healthcare (U.S. DOL-ETA, April 2012)
- Homeless Veterans’ Reintegration Program – U.S. Department of Labor (due April 28, 2012)
- U.S. Department of Labor: Serving Female Ex-Offenders through employment/training (due May 4, 2012)
- Nursing Education Redesign Grant Program – MA Department of Higher Education (due May 11, 2012)
- Susan Harwood Training Grant Program – U.S. Department of Labor OSHA (due May 17, 2012)
- Learn at Work Planning Grant RFP – MA Commonwealth Corporation (due June 1)
- April 18, 2012: Free Webcast: Key Financial Steps for College Seniors and Young Workers (U.S. Department of Labor) **NEW
- April 18, 2012: Essentials of Employer Relations (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition)
- April 26, 2012: Webinar: The Credential Differential: The Public Return to Increasing Postsecondary Credential Attainment (CLASP) **NEW
- April 26, 2012: Audio Update: State Legislators’ Roundtable (National Skills Coalition)
- May 1, 2012: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle: Emerging Practices to Achieve Economic Mobility (sponsored by Crittenton Women’s Union)
- May 3, 2012: Tapping Mature Talent: Policies for a 21st Century Workforce (sponsored by Council on Adult and Experiential Learning) **NEW
- May 3, 2012: Better Care through Better Jobs: Improving Training and Employment for Direct Care Workers (Aspen Institute) **NEW
- May 14, 2012: Sharing Skills-Building Connections Conference (sponsored by Commonwealth Workforce Coalition) Registration now open! Early bird registration deadline is April 13.