Here’s this week’s roundup! Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.Action Alerts
- Please call or email your representative and ask him/her to co-sponsor the Employee Educational Assistance Act of 2012, H.R. 4137, introduced by Representatives Sam Johnson (R-TX) and Richard Neal (D-MA). The bill will make employer provided education assistance (Section 127 of the Internal Revenue Code) a permanent provision. Read more.
- Urge Congress not to cut Labor-Education-HHS programs in FY2013. National Skills Coalition is leading an effort to get organizations to sign on to a letter with other national, state and local workforce groups urging congressional appropriators set the overall funding limit at the highest possible level. Read the action alert and sign onto the letter.
Workforce Development In the News
- Reps. Tierney, Hinojosa, Miller introduce Workforce Investment Act of 2012 (3/20/12)
- Interpreting a way out of poverty: Need for bilingual translators growing (3/19/12, Boston Herald)
- Help Wanted: As manufacturing rebounds and becomes more technical, skilled workers are in demand (3/18/12, Boston Globe)
- Boston’s young talent getting easier access to internships and jobs (3/16/12, Boston.com)
Tools and Resources
- NextGen Labor Market Intelligence (Webinar and information from the Workforce Strategy Center)
- U.S. Department of Labor: Serving Female Ex-Offenders through employment/training (due May 4, 2012)
- Learn at Work Planning Grant RFP – MA Commonwealth Corporation (due April 25 or June 1; Bidders Conference on March 21)
- U.S. Department of Labor: Serving Young Adult Ex-Offenders through Training and Service-Learning – SGA-DFA-PY-11-03 (due April 17, 2012)
- National Council of La Raza Career Pathways Initiative (proposals due April 5, 2012)
- Yoshiyama Young Entrepreneurs Program of the Hitachi Foundation (first round applications due March 30, 2012)
- April 3, 2012: Locally and Regionally Engaged: New England Colleges and Universities as drivers of Innovation, Economic Growth and Community Well-being (New England Board of Higher Education)
- April 18, 2012: Essentials of Employer Relations (Commonwealth Workforce Coalition)
- May 1, 2012: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle: Emerging Practices to Achieve Economic Mobility (sponsored by Crittenton Women’s Union)
- May 14, 2012: Sharing Skills-Building Connections Conference (sponsored by Commonwealth Workforce Coalition) Registration now open!