Here’s this week’s roundup! Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
- Support Adult Basic Education in the MA state budget. MCAE is conducting a campaign asking ABE students to send postcards to thank their state legislators and ask them to support an allocation of $30.7 million for the ABE line item 7035-0002. Read MCAE action alert and find out how to participate.
Workforce Development In the News
- Help Wanted: As manufacturing rebounds and becomes more technical, skilled workers are in demand (3/18/12, Boston Globe)
- Joint letter calls for Labor-HHS investments (3/16/12, National Skills Coalition)
- Bridging the Skills Gap (3/15/12, SeacoastOnline.com)
- New Report Challenges Boston to Reinvent the “Innovation Economy” (3/14/12, 90.9 WBUR)
- Testimony of Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis before the Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services,Education and Related Agencies, and Pensions, Committee on Appropriations (3/14/12, United States Senate)
- White House Announces Details on President’s Plan to Provide Americans with Job Training and Employment Services (3/12/12, White House Press Release)
- Remedy for Remedial Courses (3/12/12, OpEd in Boston Globe)
- Sen. Al Franken, Ron Antony: A one-stop shop to get back to work (3/11/12, Minnesota Star Tribune)
Research and Analysis
- From Fast Food to Fine Dining: A discussion on work in the restaurant Industry (Aspen Institute, Mar. 2012)
Tools and Resources
- SkillsPass, JobReadiness and the Labor Market Value Index – a suite of tools to help align curriculum with job skill requirements to make it more responsive to employers’ needs. Webinars being held by the Workforce Strategy Center on March 14 and 22. Register here.
- Forgivable Student Loans Helping Employees Advance (ICIC features Brigham and Women’s Hospital’s forgivable loan program)
- Learn at Work Planning Grant RFP – MA Commonwealth Corporation (due April 25 or June 1; Bidders Conference on March 21)
- U.S. Department of Labor: Serving Young Adult Ex-Offenders through Training and Service-Learning – SGA-DFA-PY-11-03 (due April 17, 2012)
- National Council of La Raza Career Pathways Initiative (proposals due April 5, 2012)
- Yoshiyama Young Entrepreneurs Program of the Hitachi Foundation (first round applications due March 30, 2012)
- April 3, 2012: Locally and Regionally Engaged: New England Colleges and Universities as drivers of Innovation, Economic Growth and Community Well-being (New England Board of Higher Education)
- May 1, 2012: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle: Emerging Practices to Achieve Economic Mobility (sponsored by Crittenton Women’s Union)
- May 14, 2012: Sharing Skills-Building Connections Conference (sponsored by Commonwealth Workforce Coalition) Registration now open!