Here’s this week’s roundup! Please add anything we missed by using the “comments” field.
- Support Adult Basic Education funding in the MA state budget. Call your state senator and rep and ask that they put ABE funding on their FY2013 wish lists! Read MCAE’s alert.
Workforce Development In the News
- Putting college degrees to work (3/4/12, Boston Globe)
- Where the jobs are, the training may not be (3/1/12, New York Times)
- Sparking a child’s interest in science and technology (JD Chesloff, 3/1/12, Boston Globe)
- Schools try to match jobless with 3.4 million jobs (2/29/12, New York Times)
- Coalition pushes for community college makeover (2/25/12, South Coast Today)
Research and Analysis
- Statewide Aid Policies to Improve College Access and Success (Jobs for the Future, Feb. 2012)
Tools and Resources
- Final issue of Transmissions–newsletter of the Shifting Gears initiative, with links to lessons learned, reports and other resources from this initiative that focused on re-engineering adult education, workforce development and postsecondary education policies to support economic growth and expand job opportunities for low-skilled workers in the Midwest
- U.S. DOL/ETA releases Allied Health Competency Model. The model identifies the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed for workers to perform successfully in the field of Allied Health.
- Crittenton Women’s Union is holding open houses/ recruitment sessions for its GED program. Next open house is March 19.
- MassCEC and NECEC announce clean energy internship program for 2012.
- Empowering Education: A new website for adults seeking education and training. A partnership of the American Association of Community Colleges, the Aspen Institute, and Country Music Television.
- Download a podcast of the latest National Skills Coalition audio update on the FY2013 federal budget, with a focus on workforce development funding and programs.
- U.S. Department of Labor: Workforce Data Quality Initiative (due April 19, 2012)
- U.S. Department of Labor: Serving Young Adult Ex-Offenders through Training and Service-Learning – SGA-DFA-PY-11-03 (due April 17, 2012)
- U.S. Department of Labor: Workforce Innovation Fund grant solicitation (due March 22)
- Resources for developing Workforce Innovation Fund grant applications (via CLASP)
- March 8, 2012: Using Data to Drive Innovation and Improve Services: Workforce Development in Chicago (Child and Family Policy Forum, Register for Live Webcast at 10 am ET)
- March 16, 2012: NE Workforce Professionals Conference (National Association of Workforce Development Professionals; Register by March 9)
- March 23, 2012: Network 2012 (MCAE’s ABE conference)
- April 3, 2012: Locally and Regionally Engaged: New England Colleges and Universities as drivers of Innovation, Economic Growth and Community Well-being (New England Board of Higher Education)
- May 1, 2012: Disrupting the Poverty Cycle: Emerging Practices to Achieve Economic Mobility (sponsored by Crittenton Women’s Union)
- May 14, 2012: Sharing Skills-Building Connections Conference (sponsored by Commonwealth Workforce Coalition)